Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eyeless vulgaris

Jake

Reaction score
I was looking at a tub of Lissotriton vulgaris earlier and found 2 eyeless hatchlings. There aren't many, I've found a couple others in the past. Sorry for the poor photo quality. The one on the left is a larva that has eyes, just to show the difference.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Very interesting. Keep us posted!
Wonder if they´ll develop like normal larvae or if whatever caused the abnormality will condemn them to an early death.

catfish dude

Reaction score
Hey,

Have newts larvae taste tubes scattered all around the body like for example catfishes? Or do they have them only in mouths? Also the same question goes for mature specimens. If they have a lot of taste tubes then they will be perfectly fine without eyes. If not then they will die sooner or later imho. I'm not sure how smell sense works in caudates however.

Another thing is that they possibly will be able to sharpen other senses like taste and smell to recompense lack in vision.

Regards.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I raised some waltl that looked similar to start.

They now have either one or two undeveloped eyes that are maybe half the size of normal ones. I also have a very light colored(but not leucistic) larvae with degenerate eyes that due to the lightness of the body you can see the gold part quite well.

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Hope most of them develop normally. Are you breeding these? Vulgaris is one of the species I've been on the lookout for....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1