Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A good example of what not to do...

jbherpin

Reaction score
This is a video I stumbled upon, and he is just doing the WRONG thing! Species mixing is NEVER a good thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1DAWR3XX0

On a side note...

He is referring to it as a male and then makes the assessment that the chubbiness must mean gravid! Wow!

Sorry, had to share.

-jbherpin-

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mixing, handling....wow, this guy is a bad example...

iam1ru12

Reaction score
He says they've been together for 'a long time now'.... I wonder how long that time is, considering that nothing's happened to any of them, as far as I can see.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not long xD

The Cynops is out of the water...a clear sign of something going on. The tank is also very unsuitable for a T.shanjing...
It´s amazing what lack of knowledge can do to someone´s point of view on what "everything is fine" means....
It´s a pitty those animals are being housed in such an unsuitable way....poor things...:(

jbherpin

Reaction score
I doubt the T Shanjing was feeding on the guppies too! This guy needs to better research his "poor" captives!

-jbherpin-

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I saw this once, and I agree, it's absolutely atrocious. I pretty much left the computer after that one.

Jake

Reaction score
I was offended when he said "It's not a good size for a newt, like newts should be bigger" about the orientalis. Small newts can be just as fun as the beastly ones.

He clearly states that the newt doesn't like the water, and still watches him thrash around in it. That time he drops the shanjing at the end is just icing on the cake. This kid needs to be educated about what he's dealing with, newts aren't toys.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I'm glad that everyone was as disgusted as me!
I can only wonder what the other tanks housed, and how poorly they are maintained!
It's amusing (sarcastically) that he confuses the 2 prominent subs of Tylototriton, and assumes that in general, they can be housed either aquatically or land-based. Obviously he was reading 2 care sheets, one on T. Shanjing. The other on T. Verrucosis. I wish people did better research.

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1