My Noto just died.... in a very odd manner.

ravenous

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive had these guys not even a year and they all eat very well and I feed them either bloodworms or earthworms every 5 days. For some reason one newt when I got him was very fat and he looked great. When winter started he lost all his weight and became real thin. He still ate fine and seemed okay. Yesterday I found him dead while I was feeding the group. I check them every day so he must have just died that evening or morning while I was out.

The position I found him in was odd. He was upside down with his front arms stretched out infront of him and his rear legs were holding hands. The toes were interlocked as if in prayer. I couldnt pull them apart, I didnt force it either, but it was the strangest thing. Sucks cause he was one of my favorite newts. So long Trollhammeron

Ravenous - - I have no idea what happened - I just wanted to offer my condolences. I'm really sorry you lost your fave newt.

I've had similar happenings but no deaths. I see this happening in males that concetrate much time on females. Spending too much time courting and in amplexus, I think a male Noto can drain his reserves and his health totally no matter how much they seem to be eating. I've seen one of my males dwindle over a short period of time. Strong and robust with big fanning tails to small and depleted tails. Seperation is my counter tactic.

Ravenous - - I have no idea what happened - I just wanted to offer my condolences. I'm really sorry you lost your fave newt.

Thanks.

Yea Jaymes I wondered if maybe it was a bowel problem or something cause the position looked familiar at it was just plain weird to find him dead like that. I have 2 females in there with him, along with 3 OTHER males, but I dont know what killed him.

I've had similar happenings but no deaths. I see this happening in males that concetrate much time on females. Spending too much time courting and in amplexus, I think a male Noto can drain his reserves and his health totally no matter how much they seem to be eating. I've seen one of my males dwindle over a short period of time. Strong and robust with big fanning tails to small and depleted tails. Seperation is my counter tactic.

This is starting to concern me as another one of my newts are GREATLY losing weight as the others are staying fat and healthy. I dont see him courting or doing anything, hes eating, but not alot.

I'm very sad to here of your loss.:sad: From the sounds of it your newts may have parasites. you will have to treat them according to what kind of parasites they are. Try quarantining one of your thinning animals and check it's feces as often as possible. If they are not formed well it could be digestion trouble. This condition is also sometimes described as crash syndrome, when a newt seems healthy and established but thins even with regular feedings. What are you using as substate? The crossed hind feet could be a sign of gravel impaction. One of my C.Orientalis died a strangely similar sounding death and on close inspection, impation was the cause.
I hope you find the source of your problems and a remedy. My sincere condolences.

Just wanted to offer my condolences. God bless!

Sorry to hear about your newt. I had a similar incident 2 years ago where on of my newts (unsure of gender) was found in a similar position when I found it dead in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back