Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Issues with strong filter currents.

KJ_29

Reaction score
Hey,
This post is regarding the filter that I'm currently using, which came with the tank I purchased.
The filter is a small submersible model, and doesn't take up a great deal of room in my tank.
There are a number of issues that I've been giving much more thought to recently, and I'm trying to find a solution which best suits my chinese fire bellies.
The main issue is that of a strong current. When I first set up my tank several months ago, I set up the filter with no additional equipment (which I refer to below). However I found that this generated a significant current moving around the walls of the tank, and was, obviously, particularly strong at the area around the filter.
Almost immediately I realised this was unsuitable, and had fitted varying home-made, improvised 'blockades' to the filter, in the hope of reducing or displacing the current. These included sections of plastic from carbonated drinks bottles curved loosely around the filter nozzle, other set-ups around the filter nozzle, and also placing plants around the filter (which, as a result, didn't fare too well).
Currently, I'm using a spray bar, which, I suppose, 'spreads out' the current, and also provides slight aeration. However, this still creates quite a current, even with the bar raised out of the water.
The filter also heats up the water slightly; however I can usually maintain a lower temperature following the methods described on this site.
What my point is, do any of the users of this forum have any suggestions in regard to other filter models, or adaptions I can make to my current filter or tank set-up, to reduce this current?
I've read the filter guide page, elsewhere on this site, and it mentions that a submersible filter can power waterfalls or fountains. Would a slight fountain reduce the current, and would it be acceptable for c.orientalis?
I understand that there are probably innumerable options, but I'd be very grateful for any help whatsoever.
Thanks guys :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Simplest option: don´t use a filter xD
A filter is a good help for oxigenating the water, and for providing a big area for the bacteria to flourish. However that can all be substituted easily.
They key for this are live plants.
If you use lots of live plants you are providing the bacteria with a huge surface to grow on, and obviously live plants do create oxygen as a consequence of their metabolism, so they are very good at oxygenating water. As a bonus, they also cooperate with bacteria at taking compounds and elements from the water, so they are a biological filter.
I don´t use filters in any of my tanks as i don´t keep any species that actually needs a current.
Cynops orientalis are still water creatures that will be stressed by strong currents, so i really think the best aproach with such species as this, is to not use anything that creates a current.

KJ_29

Reaction score
Haha, simple!
Thanks very much.
I had assumed a filter was pretty much a necessity, though, as you pointed out, the bacteria on the plants does the same job as the bacteria in the filter medium.
Eliminates the current and heat issues completely.
I doubt I'd miss the filter at all. With many plants, along with partial water changes and removal of uneaten food and so forth, I doubt there's any need for a filter, like you said.
Aside from all that, I'm pretty certain that the newts will appreciate a few more plants!

...don't I look the fool now? haha.

Thanks again Azhael.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to be of help ;)
My C.orientalis love the plants, in fact their tank is nothing but plants and water(in that order xDDD)...it really is FULL of plants. Apart from the many advantages regarding water quality(you won´t miss that filter hehe), they provide fantastic cover, they multiplicate the useful area for the newts as they can hang out on them(instead of being basically bound to the bottom), and they also compete very effectively against algae, which can be a problem.
So basically they are ALL advantages.
I forgot to say that not all plant species adapt to the conditions that your newts need. Elodea, java moss and java fern are examples of brilliant plants that thrive at cool temps, and require little light. Specially Elodea, since it´s fast growing is particularly good at filtering and oxygenating the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1