Question: Humphreys Axolotls

declanmacgabhan

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Declan
Hi All,

I just thought I would put the question out there regarding Humphreys Axolotl. I was at the reptile show in Hamm, Germany last month and I say some unusual axolotls for sale with the label Humphreys axolotl on the tubs. I will post a phot shortly of one of the young that I purchased. What I noticed immediately was the width of the head on the Humpreys compared to the standard axolotl whihc is normally much narrower.

I looked up the Humphreys axolotl and I found that there is a man called Humphrey who did some genitic work on axolotls in the 1960's (if I remember correctly) and I am wondering if this developed into a strain of axolotls being named after him?

Any ideas John, Patrick or Henk?

Thanks
Declan

Re: Humphreys Axolotls with photo

Here is a poor quality image of the Humphreys (on the Left) and the standard axolotl (on the right).

Attachments

• SANY3294.jpg
    SANY3294.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 714
Re: Humphreys Axolotls with photo

That is strange, I have an axolotl that is a grey wildtype and it looks remarkably similar to the Humphreys axolotl! I have always thought that he is a different shape to my other ones, perhaps he is a Humphreys too.

Rufus R. Humphrey was a researcher at Princeton University back in the 1930 through the 60s. He is often credited with being the "father" of the captive bred axolotl. His strains live on as stock from the University of Indiana Axolotl colony.

In the pet trade a good portion, if not all captive axolotls worldwide are descended from Humphrey's original breeding program. He is credited with developing many common phenotypes and genotypes, from "short toes" to axanthic albinism.

His strains live on as stock from the University of Indiana Axolotl colony.

In the pet trade a good portion, if not all captive axolotls worldwide are descended from Humphrey's original breeding program.

Any main ways to tell which one you have?

Sure. If you have an axolotl that carries the albinism trait you have one. A bit of Google work on this one will tell you everything you need to know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back