The old "rocks vs. sand vs. plain" question

nomoremind

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cinnamon
So I'm sure that there's threads arguing this very topic but I can't seem to find one right now.
I had a couple Axies for a long time a few years ago but had to give them up and am starting over so want to update all my kowledge to make sure I can do the best for them.
I currently use a single layer of large river rocks and are smooth and pretty on the bottom of my tank. It's been running about two weeks with 2 goldfish to help cycle my tank they will be removed soon, as I'm expecting some babies next week. I have pvc pipes for hiding holes and fake plants as the lives always seem to die and cause my water levels to get all catywonker. I use a syphon vacumm to clean the bottom. I used to have access to live black worms but don't anymore, can I use frozen? Or should I get trout pellets? I always fed them in a serperate bowl twice or three times a week so their food was never in their tank. I would test water once a week with the vacumming and water trade. Does that sound right?
SO back to original question. I do like the look of sand, but I love my rocks. The vaccum seems to get up everything pretty well, but is it much better if I just have a plain glass bottom? Probably even cleaner and water would stay more consistant huh?
Anywho! Any information (and even criticism) would be greatly appreciated. I just want the best for these little guys!!

Hi Cinnamon,

I am one of the No Substrate advocates. I have had large slate slabs and sand substrates but foe ease of cleaning Nothing comes close to nothing.

I don't think there is a "better" in this case and yes the debate still rages on this site. Providing you take the appropriate steps for cleaning which you sound well versed in then it comes down to personal preference.

Good Luck

So is the above post the consensus opinion?

My first axie arrives in the post tomorrow and I really need to know what is best.

I have aquarium gravel, but from what I have learned that is out of the question.

I have sterile sand that I buy for all my birds but apparantly it is cloudy at first and can be accidentaly sucked up whilst eating.

Iam happy to have uncovered glass if that is best for my axies, I dont care about appearances, I just care about what is best for the animals.

So what should I do?

Within reason cost isn't a concern.

Hi Doktor Doris,

I don't think it is the concensus, I think it is a matter of personal preference. There has been comments made that no substrate will make it difficult for an axolotl to walk. I have not encountered this problem.

You are aware of the problems of small gravel as a substrate in terms of ingestion. The other concern is food and waste getting trapped between gravel or pebble substrate. No biggy really it just means you need to be more vigilant when cleaning.

With sand the issue is that gases from detritus can be trapped in the sand but once again abit of a mix/stir when cleaning can release this.

I am hooked on the ease of cleaning with no substrate, but its just my opinion

Righto click chief, I was leaning towards the plain glass option and you have sold me on it.

As I said human notions of prettyness don't enter into my considerations, nor does cost.

Having said that, time isn't really a factor as Iam 'on the sick' and I have all the time in the world. All that matters is the critters welfare.

So I think I shall just leave the tanks bottom plain glass. Unless someone else has some information that persuades me I should do something else.

Ta mate

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back