Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paper Towel

Hooky87

Reaction score
I will be getting my first Fire salamanders soon and will be keeping them in tubs with wet paper towels.My question is how do i tell if i am using non bleached stuff as all the stuff in my local supermarket does not state on the package.So what do you guys use? Cheers

Matt

jbherpin

Reaction score
I don't have the answer, but have wondered the same thing many times! Thank you for the post, hopefully someone can list a brand name or something.

-jbherpin-

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The non-bleached paper towels will be brown like a paper bag. You can get these at Taco Bell but shhhhhhhh that's our little secret.;)

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Do you have a food service store there? We have Gordon's Food Service (store) here in the States. They sell to the public as well as restaurants and institutions (or cleaning companies, etc.). Perhaps you could find something like that there or online? Or a natural products or "go green" website? Maybe even Greenpeace would have a listing of brands since they are more eco-friendly?

Hooky87

Reaction score
I have found lots of American sites that sell non bleached paper towels, but can anyone give me a brand name they use that is availible in the U.K

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to live in England until a few years ago so I know what I'm talking about. What you want is a health food store like Wild Oats. They know how to charge, but they usually sell at least one brand of unbleached paper towel. For what it's worth though, most Salamandra keepers don't bother with the unbleached stuff.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of keeping animals on paper towel for other than very short periods (no latitude for error, fouls very quickly), but some of the experts do, so if you must, in the UK, word is = "Bounty" (yeah, the one wiht the annoying TV ad, now called Plenty, apparently: http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/879655/Bounty-kitchen-towel-renamed-Plenty/). I have used this brand without problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1