The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Old 17th April 2009   #1
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles (Ferner)

A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles

Book is by John Ferner. The author's name alone intrigues me as it is so close to my own...

...was wondering if anyone has read this one and could give me some insight...

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles

Well, it's only $11 on amazon* and a slim 72 pages...I vote you get it and tell us how it is!
For someone that uses Petranka as toilet reading (missing any pages? ) I'd say it's a reasonable assignment.

* no reviews on the amazon site.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009   #3
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles

<Laughing>

Yeah...truth is I ordered it off Amazon directly after posting. I'll have a review in a few days...truth be told I have no clue what I am getting into here though...

Old 17th May 2009   #4
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Default Re: A Review of Marking and Individual Recognition Techniques for Amphibians and Reptiles (Ferner)

Well, I took the time to read a copy I got for 7 USD off of Amazon.com.

This short and sweet book covers in depth proper field techniques for identifying and recording data on caudates. It goes far beyond simple coastal groove counting and length. Foot and leg morphology, reproductive vents, brachiate gill types, it is all in there. There is a bit about eye biology and defensive toxins.

Honestly, I feel the book is a bit excessive for the amature, and probably a bit lacking for the professional. However, for someone new to the hobby, or wishing to expand their knowledge of caudates in general, I suggest this inexpensive read.

Tags
amphibians, ferner, individual, marking, recognition, reptiles, review, techniques