Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

?Guppies?

axie girl

Reaction score
Hi
I got my axalotl almost a year ago and have always fed him axalotl pellets and worms but we went to coffs yesterday to buy some new filters for him and they had some younger axalotls in a tank together but they also had some guppies in with them, I have been wondering if you could do that for quite a wile now so I asked a lady that worked there if the fish would annoy the axies and she said no but it's not him being annoyed that i'm worried about it's him chocking on their bones will that be a problem?

jbherpin

Reaction score
I THINK they are appropriate feeders on a limited basis, but over-crowding with guppies and axies would lead to high waste volumes, and stress on the axie. If it were mine, i would feed 3-5 small guppies once a month and use worms and ghost shrimp as a primary diet. Also I would not add guppies if they weren't consumed within a month, in fact, i probably would remove them to avoid ammonia build-up, and stress. I don't see a problem with reintroducing feeder guppies to the tank a month later to try again.
Although, if the axie is feeding on the guppies and finishing them, I would stick to no more than 10 guppies in a month. My reasoning is that vertebrate prey has a negative affect on certain species, and i wouldn't want to dominate the diet with a potential hazard. Good luck!

-jbherpin-

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
As Kerry stated, you really need to quarantine any fish before using it as food.

While most prevalent with goldfish, any feeder fish can be a vector for parasites, fungal infections and worse.

If you have the time space and means to properly quarantine fish for 30 days or more, go for it!

Axolotls love a treat of a live fish now and then.

I feed live fish quite a bit to my various caudates and reptiles, however, I breed my own goldfish and guppies for this purpose. I use rosy red minnows as feeders, but I quarantine them for 90 days.
My rule is : If I have to treat a fish for illness, it becomes breed stock rather than food. I do this as many fish medications and treatments are fatal to amphibians. In the case of rosy reds They go to my Display tank in the living room, sick ones become garden fertilizer upon death as I have had no luck breeding them.....yet....

axie girl

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
I'll give them to him as a treat every now and then because i don't have that much room to sterilise the guppies, but is there a sise restiction?
See Yaa

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1