Photo: how old should an axie be before you sell them in the shops

bradley

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi
I was wondering how old a axolotl would have to be before you can sell them in the shops,
as I am looking to breed (them) at some point (iI need the male first).

Brad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: how should a axie by before you sell them in the shops

Depends on how well your pet shop can take care of them. My LFS is pretty good, so I usually sell them when they've got back legs. To the general public, usually a little bigger.

Thanks.

Depends on how well your pet shop can take care of them. My LFS is pretty good, so I usually sell them when they've got back legs. To the general public, usually a little bigger.

I sell mine when they begin to feed on frozen foods. For someone trying to keep axolotls for the first time, I think starting out with a 5-6 inch animal is the best, unfortunately it takes way too much space to hold onto our babies until they're that size so selling them when they eat non-living foods is the next best thing.

I generally wait until they are 76mm in length, with back legs, and trained to eat both frozen and COTS dry foods.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back