Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help!

RoMe

Reaction score
I don't know what to do about my axolotl. He has gotten VERY FAT, he cannot even stand in his back legs. He hasn't eaten for a month and keeps getting fatter.
I have kept to the regular water changes etc...He was eating blood worms, Pellets and turtle cubes (as recommended from pet shop).
I have just put him in the fridge, as i think he may have a blockage of some sort. And have read that sometime that can help with illness?? He has never eaten his stones in his tank. But u never know. :(
He can hardly swim now and I am worried he's in pain and waiting to die.

CAN ANYONE HELP...... I SHOULD BE ABLE TO POST PICS IF U NEED TO SEE......

Many Thanks RoMe

callina

Reaction score
Re: Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting him in the fridge was a good idea and yes, please post some photos. Photos could help to calculate the position.

What are your water parameters and the temp?
What did you feed him?

-Tina-

RoMe

Reaction score
Thanks all, He was eating Blood Worms, Pellets and some frozen vegie blocks from the pet store.
He's been in fridge for almost 24 hrs and has made no visible progress.
His tank consists of many small pebbles so eating one may be a possibility.
What do i do if he is simply 'blocked'?

The pic posted he's only in a small tank, as he is in the fridge.
The water looks dirty but its the tank, the plastic is stained.

http://yfrog.com/0gdsc02615fj

He is in 1/4 Tank water, then 3/4 fresh water.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi RoMe,

In looking at that picture, it looks like a serious case of bloat (fluid buildup) to me. This will need to be treated, and drained by a vet.

I note you live in Australia. Rayson (aka Darkmaverick), a Veterinarian, has compiled a list of experienced herp vets in Australia that may be of some assistance: http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vets.shtml

Fridging will certainly help relax and destress the axolotl. Fridging also assists the axolotl in passing ingested stones.

I would recommend putting him in a larger container, there should be enough space for him to stretch out comfortably to his full length. If he is crampted, this will excasserbate the stress.

Fridging procedure: http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

How long have you had your axolotl?

RoMe

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, i am currently arranging a bigger fridge tank now based on your advice.
Once complete ill post another pic. Also water temp is currently 8 Degrees Celsius and I've had him for around 3-4 Months.
The only Vets in my state are a fair decent drive from my location so i might take him to my
local vet and get their opinion. If they cannot help me obviously i have to do the drive but i didnt
want to stress him for over an hours worth of bad traffic :)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi RoMe,

Your axie has terminal stage bloat. Serious bloat like this tends to be a combination of metabolic disorder due to renal, cardiac or hepatic dysfunction, although some bacteraemia or scepticaemia can cause bloat as well.

It would definitely need veterinary intervention. Meanwhile fridge your axie as recommended by Jacq. I am not sure what your local vet would have planned but here are some of my ideas on how i would approach the case.

- Quick imaging - ultrasound or radiograph to rule out obvious organ damage (enlarged heart etc).
- Aspirate the fluid accumulation in the abodominal space to reduce compressional discomfort.
- Intensive fluid therapy - amphibian ringers
- Prolphlactic antibiotics - amikacin + timentin +/- metronidazole. Avoid baytril (enrofloxcin).
- Strictly no local anaesthetics (lidocaine, procaine, benzocaine etc).
- Depending on type of diagnostic equipment available - electrolytes measurement. (Drop needed)
- Correct acid-base, electrolyte deficits as required.
- Supplementary injectable vitamins/glucose.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!