Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese fire belly set-up

Cruso

Reaction score
I am very new to newts and this is my first semi-aquatic set-up so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It is a 25 gallon. I added the divider in and also attached stones to it to make it more appealing. I used a layer of stones at the bottom of the tank and added plantation soil on top of that for the land portion. Also on top of the plantation soil there is sheet moss. Not completely finished yet.. I have the filter and plants coming in the mail this week so I will update this when it is completed.

I've had it set up for 2 days now and I can't seem to get the water at a good temperature.. it rose above 68 last night so I emptied the water and added cold about 2 hours ago.. it was at 50 and now it's at 60. I am trying to find a way to keep it cool. Right now I am trying a water bottle with half ice and 1/4 cold water tipped upside down, dripping in to the tank but I'm not sure how well it's working yet. There are no newts in it yet, but I am wondering how many I can house in it? I was hoping 4 but any number would be good. :)

ANYWAYS, here it is!

IMG_4660.jpg

jake96

Reaction score
It looks like you might have to much land area. Fire Bellied newts usually need only a piece of cork bark to rest on other than that they do not leave the water.

NewtsRAwesome

Reaction score
Also looks like you might want to add something for the newts to hide in/under in the water.

Adonis Lowery

Reaction score
I agree, but I must say this is good work for your first set up. You may want to choose another specimen that may be a little bit more terrestrial in its habits. Keep up the good work, and remember not to rush it.

arise

Reaction score
It looks like you might have to much land area. Fire Bellied newts usually need only a piece of cork bark to rest on other than that they do not leave the water.

It's right....
The setup would be acquatic; then put some plants in the water.
I put an image in my album of my cynops or. tank.

bye

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!