Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Pics of my sick Miso

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Hey, I took some pictures of Miso. He's developed fungus and has now not eaten for 2 weeks. I am really really worried about him. My mum thinks that he is just getting old as I am not sure of his exact age. But I really have no idea. I would be thankful for any suggestions for my next step. I am currently salt bathing for the fungus.
My water conditions are fine... the other axolotl that I have Kawasaki is thriving.
Sorry about the picture quality my good camera is dead at the moment. His gills are completely white and as you can see from the picture he is very very thin.
Please help
Hannie xx

Attachments

• Photo-0346.jpg
    Photo-0346.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 237

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
No I have never fridged an axie before and I'm quite worried about it as I don't know exactly what I'm doing in that department. For example how long do you leave them in the fridge for? x

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Hanniebumblebee,

Yes, firstly do follow the advice to fridge your axie.

Can i ask what you normally feed your axie? I am not sure if it is due to the lighting but based just on that one photo, your axie does look anaemic. i want to rule out some of the causes of anaemia.

What type of water do you use during water changes? Dechlorinated water from the tap? Bottled water?

Any particular change in the stools? Any unusual behaviour?

Cheers.

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Yeah I thought he might be. I feed them Minnows my other axie is fine on them.... I think Im going to try earth worms again soon but he wont eat anything. Do axies eat in the fridge as i am worried that he hasn't eaten for around two weeks xx

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fridging will slow the axolotl's metabolism to the point where the axolotl will not need to eat, and the weight loss is also slowed right down, which is an advantage.

You can try offering food each day and see if the axolotl will partake, but don't be alarmed if he does not. This is normal. While sick, the axolotl will not likely eat. His appetite should increase as he improves in health.

In conjunction with fridging, the axolotl can go without food for about three months.

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
I am beginning frdiging tonight. One question though... when do I know when to take him out of the fridge? Are there any tell tale signs or is it just trial and error?
Thankyou guys so much for your help x

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Hannie Bee,

If you are fridging whilst you do your salt baths for the fungus then you would need to keep it fridged until after the fungus totally disappears. Have you any idea what may have caused the fungus, ie. water temperature or parameters?

From your photo I don't think your axie is very very thin. In fact its not to far off the ideal weight for an axolotl. As a guide the widest part of the body should be as wide as the head.

Good Luck

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Hanniebumblee,

Continue with your fridging and salt bath routine. I would advise you to completely stop feeding your axies minnows for now. Could you try feeding them earthworms, blackworms or pellets for the time being? They should still be readily accepted.

A sole diet of minnows is a sure road to anemia. Minnows have thiaminase in them, a type of active enzyme that has the capacity to break down vitamin B, thiamine. Prolonged, excessive feeding of minnows can cause a malnutrition based pernicious anaemia.

Give the other food a trial for 6 weeks. Assess if the colour and body condition improves. Take weekly photographs to compare and contrast.

I have this feeling that nutrition could be the main cause of the problem.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1