Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

southern oregon and northern california

josh

Reaction score
i just got back from a 5 day trip down there and have lots of pics to post. i dont have time to post them all right now, so i will post a few right now and post the rest later.
this was a very strange, but cool sight. it is the roof of a shack and it had a huge patch of calypso bulbosa on it.
Picture138.jpg

here is a close up of a few plants
Picture140.jpg

my partner in crime :) this is my good friend angela. she was having way too much fun catching newts in this stream.
Picture141.jpg

here is the stream
Picture155.jpg

there were some really nice T. torosa breeding while we were there
Picture157.jpg

Picture159.jpg

Picture158.jpg

angela saw something in the water she could barely see that she described as a scaley newt and she grabbed it and freaked out. she let it go before she could pull it out of the water in fear and i got curious naturally and started looking around in the water.... turns out it was this little guy
Picture145.jpg

Picture144.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture150.jpg

i put the little guy back in the water hoping he would come out for pictures. he did.
Picture151.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture154.jpg

ok, here are a few more pics of things from the trip. believe it or not, there are more pics that i will need to post. my friends camera has the other half of the pics :) anyhoo, here goes.
these pics were all staged as the lighting was really bad the day of capture.
plethodon stormi
Picture441.jpg

Picture442.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Picture451.jpg

some painted ensatina
Picture452.jpg

Picture453.jpg

Picture456.jpg

Picture465.jpg

a nice big plethodon elongatus (pushing the 6 inch mark)
Picture467.jpg

and lots of dicamptodon!
Picture472.jpg

Picture473.jpg

Picture474.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Picture479.jpg

Picture480.jpg

Picture481.jpg

Picture483.jpg

i will try to get the rest of the pics from my friends camera soon.
-josh

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Any chance you would add some of those Dicamptodon photos to the gallery here please? We don't have many. We have no Rhyacotriton at all :(. Seen any of those? Our Gallery is here: http://www.caudata.org/photoplog

Best wishes,

-John

Reaction score
Wow, you must have some very dedicated salamander hunters to find so many terrestrial Dicamptodon. Awesome

josh

Reaction score
Hi Josh,

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Any chance you would add some of those Dicamptodon photos to the gallery here please? We don't have many. We have no Rhyacotriton at all :(. Seen any of those? Our Gallery is here: http://www.caudata.org/photoplog

Best wishes,

-John

john, we can add any of my pictures to the photo gallery. i see rhyacotriton all the time. i actually saw quite a few kezeri the other day along with 2 plethodon vandykei. ya know what, shoot me a list of U.S. native species you need pics of and i will try to get some good shots. i have a good source for eastern US species as well.

-josh

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the kind offer to help! Our main gaps are Dicamptodon and Rhyacrotriton actually. There are a few International species gaps but other than those two I _think_ we have decent coverage of US/North America species. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please?

All the best,

-John

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Wow... these are some great shots...
I believe the turtle is a western pond turtle (Cali's only native turtle and increasingly rare in parts of the state) and you didn't even mention how nicely he posed with the T. tarosa larva in the one pic...

the shots of the Dicamptodon are gorgeous. I lived in Humboldt for 3 years and have been back many times for herping trips (in fact I just got back from one) but still haven't found any adults, only larva....

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
... and you didn't even mention how nicely he posed with the T. tarosa larva in the one pic...
Looks a bit frightening, from the larva's point of view!

Great bunch of photos, Josh!

josh

Reaction score
indeed, the turtle is a marmorata! i havnt seen one in YEARS so i was really happy to see another. yeah, the torosa just swam into the shot and stuck around. it turned out pretty nice. i seem to find transformed dicamptodon every time i go to california. but you know what i just can't seem to ever find??... aneides. well, this year i finally found flavipunctatus, but other than that.... nada. i can't figure out what i am doing wrong. oh well, i'll eventually find them.

-josh

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Josh, fantastic pictures!! How fun to find such wonderful creatures in the wild! lucky you!! thank you so much for sharing.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
well then we should team up.... All I ever seem to find is aneides.... I used to live in the redwood forest and I'd find A. vagrans around my property all the time...

And I find A Lugubris in my backyard in the bay area all the time.... I've got a Juve in my vivarium right now with some Hyla regalis larva.

we could be an unstoppable force if we combined our powers...

Last edited by a moderator:

josh

Reaction score
Josh, fantastic pictures!! How fun to find such wonderful creatures in the wild! lucky you!! thank you so much for sharing.

you live in arizona?? there are some nice sallies in arizona if you know where to look. you have ambystoma nebulosum up north as well as mavortium and you have the federally protected ambystoma stebbinsi down south of tucson. they are really neat to see. you also have 2 very cool isolated species in new mexico, plethodon neomexicanus and aneides hardii. now you should go do some salamander hunting! :D the ambystoma are a winter find, but the 2 species in new mexico from what i hear are a late summer find as they are active when the monsoons are hitting.

-josh

ferret_corner

Reaction score
AWWW!! You're so sweet to tell me about them! But I know about them. I'm to far from northern AZ, I'm near Tombstone actually.

I've got some ideas on where to look - its a matter having the time in the right season! 3 kids, soccer, swim lessons, life ****, hahaha oh and the zoo..... takes me a bit to get out of the house!

... have been down here to see them?

josh

Reaction score
AWWW!! You're so sweet to tell me about them! But I know about them. I'm to far from northern AZ, I'm near Tombstone actually.

I've got some ideas on where to look - its a matter having the time in the right season! 3 kids, soccer, swim lessons, life ****, hahaha oh and the zoo..... takes me a bit to get out of the house!

... have been down here to see them?

i used to live in arizona and spent most of that time herping the state. so i know where and how to find just about every herp and invertibrate in arizona. i have seen MANY very unique and rare animals in that state. if you are in tombstone, you are not far at all from the range of ambystoma stebbinsi. if ever you need any info on when, where and how to look for anything, let me know.

-josh

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
PLEASE be careful about giving locality data willy-nilly. While Sharon is a trustworthy, upstanding citizen, not everyone is. And giving locality data, especially about Federally protected species, can be a very dangerous thing.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Hey Josh, I talked with Kays last night about stebbinsi - after looking over the species sheet for AZ - it sounds pretty strict for looking it up even. I may make nice with my local ranger stations and see if I can get some leeway for just finding a couple for a photo op.

I'm perfectly happy owning my tigersals from the east coast and don't want to collect any. I thought I included the web page for them, but JIC its to specific I'll send via email or pm - depending on your contact info - so you can see what I'm talking about.

josh

Reaction score
PLEASE be careful about giving locality data willy-nilly. While Sharon is a trustworthy, upstanding citizen, not everyone is. And giving locality data, especially about Federally protected species, can be a very dangerous thing.

for one, i never gave out any locality data, and two, just from what she has said here, i can tell she has a good amount of knowlendge of her native herps, and 3rd why does it really matter??? people should have a right to know about these things. anyone can go on google and find out where stebbinsi or any other protected species is found. the information is already there.... and furthermore, if someone does enough searching on google, you can find MANY exact localities for this stuff. now, i dont give out exact localities to just anyone and i havn't done that here. i told her to get in touch with me privately if she wanted any info. i see no harm in that. i have been collecting and field herping since i was a little kid and i have done my fair share of 'foot time' so i understand the importance of protecting spots and particular species, but if i chose to give somebody a locality, that is my decision, not yours. the odds of anyone going out and finding 'true' stebbinsi are pretty unlikely anyways. most of their breeding ponds are on private fenced off property. besides, i was very general when i said i could give her info

"if ever you need any info on when, where and how to look for anything, let me know."

that statement didnt mean i was talking about stebbinsi in particular. i do understand how that would be confusing and i apologise for not being more specific.

josh

Reaction score
Hey Josh, I talked with Kays last night about stebbinsi - after looking over the species sheet for AZ - it sounds pretty strict for looking it up even. I may make nice with my local ranger stations and see if I can get some leeway for just finding a couple for a photo op.

I'm perfectly happy owning my tigersals from the east coast and don't want to collect any. I thought I included the web page for them, but JIC its to specific I'll send via email or pm - depending on your contact info - so you can see what I'm talking about.

i hope you didnt get the wrong impression here. i wasnt telling you to go catch stebbinsi. i simply told you that you can go observe them in the wild and wont get in trouble as long as you are not harrassing them or have any collecting equipment. i have been to the breeding ponds before and have never had an issue. simply, i think it is nice to know your native herps and be able to see them in the wild... especially a species that potentially wont be around much longer.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Josh, it's true that some locality information can be found online. However most of it isn't that easy to find unless you know what you're looking for, and even then, many species localities aren't available. Some species are nearly impossible to find unless you know exactly where, when and what to do there.

It is our policy to minimise the naming of localities (except in extreme case where the locality is in the name of the animal, such as the Ouachita endemics for example). We don't need to help the majority of vendors in the amphibian section of kingsnake to rape the countryside of its amphibians. People like Mark Lucas and his ilk, such as that guy with the Swedish name that I can't remember, have already reserved their places in hell so there's no need to help them further.

i hope you didnt get the wrong impression here. i wasnt telling you to go catch stebbinsi. i simply told you that you can go observe them in the wild and wont get in trouble as long as you are not harrassing them or have any collecting equipment. i have been to the breeding ponds before and have never had an issue. simply, i think it is nice to know your native herps and be able to see them in the wild... especially a species that potentially wont be around much longer.

ferret_corner

Reaction score

Nah hun I didn't think any such thing. I was just hoping to see it for myself. Kind of like seeing the grand canyon - a natural wonder - and I was hoping to get a pic of it for caudata.

I'm to tired to go back and read what all we typed, lol, but i think I was probably unclear.

No worries!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1