Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudata Illustrators?

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the site but have been posting for a couple weeks...

I'm a nature illustrator concentrating on herps. I know there is a large species/ photo/ database but I was wondering about illustration and art work of caudata... I hate to submit them to the photo-section because they are not photos, but wouldn't some nice illustrations help with the species databank...

here are two illustrations I've been working on... if anyone can appreciate them... it's all of you caudata lovers.

T. tarosa and a comparitve map of ensatinas in california...

enjoy... and please don't steal these... if you want a nice print, just ask me. :happy:

Attachments

• taricha torosa.jpg
    taricha torosa.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 717
  • ensatina comparative.jpg
    ensatina comparative.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 463

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are really good. Do you take commissions?

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Why yes... I do take commissions... I am an illustrator which means I'm an artist for hire... so I encourage commissions... Both these pieces were done from photo reference that I took myself. So good photo reference would be appreciated but not required...

I would love to do more illustrations ocaudata, so If you guys have requests, we can work out details through email...

thanks for the possitive feedback, most of my peers don't understand why I would want tp paint reptiles and amphibians...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of Tell Hicks? He's a pretty awesome herp painter. I've had the chance to meet him on a few occasions (he's good friends with a friend of mine).

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Very, very well done. I must say, I could see that style with the map done for many other species, and it would make an astounding field guide or reference.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Those are excellent, good work. I like to think I am good at illustrating animals myself, so I tend to be pretty critical. Amphibians I think are among the hardest to make appear lifelike due to their textures and possible slimyness, and also posturing can be tricky.(reptiles and birds I think are much easier...except perhaps for those with irridescent coloration) What medium did you use can I ask?

If anyone is into fish, look up Joe Tomelleri. His illustrations are amazing! Berol prismacolors can apparently replicate the flash on the sides of a living fish.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I Do a highly detailed pencil rendering first and then I scan that in and paint it in Photoshop. sometimes if I can't get enough precision in the computer I'll print it out on watercolor paper and work back into it with whatever works... pen and ink, acrylic, watercolors...

These two are primarily photoshop... I find that I can get really good translucency by painting in the computer... I wanted to get that "gummy" quality...

I can post some of my pencils if you guys are interested.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
so these aren't all Caudata but they are herps... and, there is another common theme... can you guess?

Attachments

• gila web.jpg
    gila web.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Crotalusheadstudy.jpg
    Crotalusheadstudy.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Ensatinas.jpg
    Ensatinas.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 319
  • ringneckplain.jpg
    ringneckplain.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Pelobatidae hammondii.jpg
    Pelobatidae hammondii.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 501

duktig

Reaction score
Nice work. Do you have any illustrations of eastern US / Appalachain salamanders? If not, please send commission information.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel like this thread is free advertising.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I just like having a venue where people actually appreciate what I'm doing... Thanks everybody..:love:
You guys are some of the only people who have seen this series since I just finished it...

I'd be happy to do something for the site as well... as a contribution... perhaps a T shirt design or poster??? I like this community and would love to give something back...

In the future though... for the sake of the forum's integrity (and my own:eek:), let's keep "business" questions confined to the world of Personal Messages and E-mail...

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
Just recently I've been trying my hand at caudates a little...I find them pretty fun to draw actually; their little curves and all. I just started a new Noto (The one with no detail and arrows directing limbs in different directions...lol) and would love it if anyone is willing to let me use their photography for reference? :frog:

Attachments

• saldrawing.jpg
    saldrawing.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 242
  • notoeft2.jpg
    notoeft2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 232
  • malenoto.jpg
    malenoto.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 254

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
:D Thank you Dawn. Ahhh...boredom cured.

And....I don't know how I made my way to this thread. This stuff was supposed to go in caudatadude's newt/sals art thread....oops.

Attachments

• taricha.jpg
    taricha.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1