PLEASE help me identify these Newts

amberchacon

Reaction score
Country
Undeclared (Forum rules require a Nationality)
I need to know how to properly care for them, what they eat, etc.

Please if anyone knows what kind they are, let me know!

Attachments

• Newts 002.jpg
    Newts 002.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 291
  • Newts 007.jpg
    Newts 007.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Newts 005.jpg
    Newts 005.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 622
Those are Desmognathus but i can´t tell the species.
They are considered salamanders not newts.
Before you decide to keep them, please check if the laws of your state allow you to do so. Also, realize that bringing an animal home about which you know nothing, is a pretty bad start.
If i were you i´d put those back, and start properly, find a species that appeals to you, learn as much as you can, set-up the aquarium/terrarium, and then get the animal. CB is your best choice as it ensures you are getting healthy animals which will be completely used to captivity.
If you are determined to keeping them though(after checking legality), you can find information on Desmognathus husbandry by using the "search" option on this forum. There´s currently no caresheet for desmognathus but you will be able to find experiences from other users around the forum.

How do I figure out if their illegal? I'm in SC

All native Desmognathus species ARE LEGAL in South Carolina. It's probably Desmognathus fuscus in which this care sheet should help you out. South Carolina is one of those states where their legality information is scattered all over the place, so there isn't really one place to go look for it. You can also forget about SCDNR website cause it's useless.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back