Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. Verrucossus Eft Stage

IanF

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone can inform when I will be able to tell when my two newts are ready to convert back to water.

I understand some people keep them fully aquatic as they don't require a juvenile eft stage- but that also requires higher temperatures in the water and my room stays around 17C in the winter so I decided to keep them terrestrially until the temperature rises outside which it soon will.

However, they are now reaching 9 months old so soon they'll be a year- at which point I understand it is common practice to convert them back to aquatic (by this time it will be around 23 C in my room at least). How should I go about this and what should I look for behaviour wise, i.e, will they eat less, more and will they just slowly start going into the water more often.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have no experience with T.verrucosus but going back to the water can be a risky businness.
Some species go aquatic very easily...and almost inmediately, others are a pain and may present some problems with this change.
I´d recomend you use the standard method which is placing them in a container with barely enough water to cover them, lots of plants and some terrestrial surface. Then progresively, add water, raising the level slowly over a period of several days, until there´s no completely dry area.. Offer foods that can be eaten in the water, preferably alive foods(pieces of earthworm can survive for several hours under water so they are a good choice).
Eventually they should become fully aquatic.
A small piece of advice is, don´t rush it. Again, i´m not sure how t.verrucosus reacts to this, but i´ve had problems in the past trying to convert terrestrial juveniles to water, so being careful is best.

There´s no real sign that says it´s time to go aquatic(we are talking juveniles here), but if you try the above mentioned method, and you see their skin getting smoother, that´s a good sign they are taking well to the water. If they are anything like other species their appetite will probably increase once they are aquatic.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure how to go about it with mine, so Elektra was approaching 3 when she went aquatic (but who knows if she would have gone so earlier, had she had a better tank).

I received her as a larva in Dec '05 and Eddie as a new morph in Feb '07. So Eddie was about 1.

I made them this tank Jan '08, and they soon became aquatic and laid eggs in July '08.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52345

IanF

Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration there Dawn- I'll make it semi-aquatic again and then work it up to aquatic in a few months time. Not sure I'll be as lucky as you with the breeding though Dawn.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1