Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding a Eurycea Lucifuga

Cherokee

Reaction score
I'm having trouble feeding this little salamander. He ate a worm when I got him last week, but he won't take anything now. I was just wondering, do you have to hold the food up to them or put it in a dish? I tried again a few nights ago and he struck at it, hitting it with his closed mouth then turns his head away, he repeated that 3 times, finally retreating to a hole in the rock. I guess that means he's not hungry? I read that they only need to be fed twice a week, so should I wait longer? I'm new to this, so I really don't know if I'm doing it right. I think when he sees my hand he gets scared, that may be the problem.

nate

Reaction score
That particular species keys in on movement, so you'd have much better luck feeding it things like crickets or roaches - things that scurry. They do occasionally eat a worm. But more often than not, they strike the worm, but it does not stick to their tongue due to the moisture, and so they lose interest.

Cherokee

Reaction score
Should I just put crickets in the terrarium for him to hunt then?
Also I need to know what kind of filter do you all use? Would a regular Whisper filter set down in 2 inches of water be ok, he would not climb into it would he?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "regular Whisper filter"?

IanF

Reaction score
What do you mean by "regular Whisper filter"?
I think he's refering to this type of filter but I could be wrong.
d_6204.jpg

Cherokee

Reaction score
Yes an aquarium filter, the brand is called Whisper. I suppose I need one, but what works well in 1/2 inches of water?
Do I need to feed him by hand or should I just release some crickets in the tank for him to eat on his own? What do you all do in the winter months?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get everything setup correctly.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had hoped you would help me out by describing (or linking a photo) of what kind of filter you meant. OK, I'll do the work. Whisper makes hang-on-back style filters, like this:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/tetratec.html
and they make in-tank filters like this:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperintank.html
It's quite illusive to me which of these someone would call "regular". And there may be other types also made by Whisper. Ian, I don't know if you had intended to link to a photo, or if you were being a smart alec.

The former type would be totally inappropriate, both because it won't work in 2" of water and because it allows gaps for escape. The latter type might work, but 2" of water might be too shallow for it. I'm not sure exactly what water depth it needs.

There are other types of filters that are designed to work in very shallow water, such as this
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/2587/product.web
or
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/12750/product.web
If you are serious about 2" of water, you need to shop very carefully for what will work. You also need to look for the least possible filter wattage, as this is correlated with heat production.

I haven't kept lucifuga, but I think you do just have to put pinheads or fruit flies in there and let him hunt them down. Both of these foods can be obtained in winter. There are several other kinds of live food that you can breed yourself, like woodlice or roaches. The problem will be that a lot of the food will drown before it gets eaten.

Cherokee

Reaction score
It's the whisper in tank, but now I see that won't work. In my introduction post, someone posted a picture of how I should do a set up for this species, he said to use 1/2 inch of water. In his picture it shows water flowing over some of the rocks, just wondering how that's done. Do I need to filter the water? Also how often do I need to do a water change, I'm guessing I need to break down everything once a week and do a complete cleaning and replace the water, am I right?
Thanks for the information on what to feed this guy, problem is that I'm using a screen lid and fruit flies and roaches can escape, should I be using a glass lid or something else?

madeve

Reaction score
It's the whisper in tank, but now I see that won't work. In my introduction post, someone posted a picture of how I should do a set up for this species, he said to use 1/2 inch of water. In his picture it shows water flowing over some of the rocks, just wondering how that's done.
I believe this is the thread you are referring to. I think (but am not 100% sure) that he uses the same type of filter as in the last link Jen posted (http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/12750/product.web). There are a few other set-up ideas you can get from the gallery or here is a Eurycea Lucifuga tank made by another member.

Do I need to filter the water? Also how often do I need to do a water change, I'm guessing I need to break down everything once a week and do a complete cleaning and replace the water, am I right?
Yes you should filter the water. Water changes should be done weekly (about 20%) once your tank is cycled. It is very important that you cycle your water. Here is an article that explains how to cycle your tank and here is an article that explains water quality.

Thanks for the information on what to feed this guy, problem is that I'm using a screen lid and fruit flies and roaches can escape, should I be using a glass lid or something else?
How big are the holes in your screen lid? I use screen lids on all my tanks and the feeder insects usually get eaten before they can even get the idea to escape. If you are to feed crickets or other feeder insects make sure you gut load them and/or dust them with calcium and vitamin powder. Most pet stores will carry the powders you need to do so.

Good luck I hope this helps.

Cherokee

Reaction score
Thank you all for answering my questions! Looks like there's so much I need to do to keep this little guy, which may unfortunately take too long to accomplish in a short time, so I may have to release him. I don't have easy access to a petsore or fruitflies and other things. But I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your helping me to find out about all the things he needs, this is a really nice forum.
Anyway, this is a picture of what his current setup looks like, I know it's poor.
2009_0426Kim0002-1.jpg

And this is the type of mesh lid I have, as you can see, very large holes.
2009_0426Kim0003.jpg

madeve

Reaction score
That is a large screen lid!!! Your tank looks pretty good if you ask me.
I would try to get crickets to feed this little guy, you can easily order them online in a variety of sizes. I can give you a couple of good places to get them from if you are interested.

Cherokee

Reaction score
Eve, Thank you for the tank compliment! My Hubby just told me that he will help me get whatever I need to get this tank set up right! :D I'm overjoyed! Ok, so I need to get a new lid, a tiny water filter, and food. Yes, please let me know some good places to get crickets online.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To keep the fruit flies in, you can put a piece of fabric between the tank and the screen lid. An old pillowcase will work, but a dark colored fabric would look a lot better.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you keep the salamander relatively cool you shouldn't have to worry about having food for him immediately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!