Wildtype or melanoid?!

Stiky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone! How you all doing?!
I recently got another axolotl called Puff, I think she's a wild type. However, having seen some of the photos in the gallery of melanoid axolotls I am now a little unsure. I think her eyes are brown around the edges and she has a few shiny patches on her tail so I guess that shows she's wild type huh?! I think I've answered my own question! :eek: Having looked at one of the photos of Puff I've noticed that the ring around her eyes is shiny brown! Well take a look at my photos anyway & any feedback would be much appreciated! Sorry if the quality isn't very good but it's difficult to get photos that are any good- Puff is not very photogenic! As opposed to Jiggly my leucistic axie, who takes great pictures!
Thanks gyus :D

Attachments

• DSC00456.jpg
    DSC00456.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC00556.jpg
    DSC00556.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00533.jpg
    DSC00533.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 280
That's a definitely a wild-type axolotl- and a very pretty one at that!

Looks wildtype to me.

Mark

As other have said, she looks to be a wildtype. But I beg to differ..I think Puff is very photogenic :)

Very nice,he does take a good photo.:cool:

Hi guys
Thanks very much for all your feedback! I kind of knew she was a wildtype, it was only that I'd seen photos in the gallery of a couple of melanoid axies that were very similar looking!
I don't think I phrased my last post very well- what I meant to say was that it's more difficult to take photos of darker axies as you have to get the lighting right. These were the best photos I'd managed to get after many attempts and lots of blurry photos!
I agree she is very pretty! I rescued her from someone who was planning to take her back to the pet shop as their other axolotls were bullying her!
Thanks for your thoughts, :happy:
Sadie x :)

I don't think I phrased my last post very well- what I meant to say was that it's more difficult to take photos of darker axies as you have to get the lighting right. These were the best photos I'd managed to get after many attempts and lots of blurry photos!

I agree with you there 100% :rolleyes:. My melanoids and wildtypes are very challenging to photograph, which is a shame as:

A) I'm a lousy photographer in the first place.
B) They have such beautiful colouring which I would love to show off to its original splendour!

PS "Jiggly" and "Puff" - love the names ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back