Dying Salamanders

nkatko

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had 3 salamanders die the past few days. I have had all of them over 1 month. A Tiger began to develop red spots on its belly & legs. Almost like it was bleeding from the inside. It was active, then suddenly died.

I had 2 iranians exhibit no signs of illness, then suddenly die.

I change my water regularly.

Any advice?

That really sucks those iranians are pretty exspensive. Was the tiger wild caught ?

I heard somewhere else of Iranian Newt spontaneous death. Anything in the enclosure which was collected outside? Temperature? Make sure to quarantine right away after the first symptoms.

The tiger was definitely wild caught. If you have any other animals, I'd suggest keeping a close eye on them. Also, don't transfer any materials between the areas where the dead animals were kept and any other amphibians you might have. At this point, there's not much you can do beyond making sure your remaining pets.

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan to replace the Tiger. All others appear to be doing fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back