Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie :]

baurelio

Reaction score
I just joined Caudata and I'm looking for a baby axolotl for my boyfriend. His birthday is tomorrow and it would be a late birthday present but I'm looking for one. =]

I would LOVE one of those Jellyfish Protein axolotls and I can't post over in the for sale section yet! but I'm looking for only one!!

What size tank would I need?

Thanks,
Brittany

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! 10 gallons would be the absolute minimum for one axie, and larger is much better.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Before you go ahead and buy one, make sure you research the proper care. Make sure you have an appropriate sized, cycled tank. Go to axolotl.org for all the care info. you need.

baurelio

Reaction score
yeah he is so excited!! we actually got a great deal like a hooded 20 gal tank for 60 and a filter for 25 and gravel && the tank is all set up and were just waiting to buy the axie :]

what kind of axolotls do you guys have?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
To continue this thread you'll be better off in the axolotl section of the forum where all us axie owners hang out! Also, please don't use gravel in the axolotls tank, they can swallow it and it can lead to impaction and death. Sand or a bare-bottomed tank is best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1