Setting Up

chinlato

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Got a 2ft tank spare, was going to set it up and put FBT in there.

How many can i put?

Should i put water as the substrate and then just logs and couple rocks and plants for land?

Also do i need to heat the water or give them UV?

Thanks.

With a 2ft tank you could easily house 4 or 5 toads in there comfortably.

The tank doesn't have to be elaborate but you could do the tank 3/4ths water and 1/4th land, or like you said use water as the substrate and then add lots of floating plants or logs.

You don't need to worry about heating the water unless it will get below about 65F.

Ok cool, how about lighting? do they need UV? or basking light? or are they fine without any lighting?

Thanks.

Also can i put anubias on driftwood in the tank?

They don't require lighting but if your keeping plants in there it wouldn't hurt to use one.

I bought some plants that go in the water, banana lily and some other ones, i think amazon sword.

Im going to put them in the water, i will put terracotta pots upside down in the water and put the plants in them so they stay under water.

I might get a storage tub/container and fill it with sphagnum moss/peat moss and use that as the land for the tank.

It might get cold in my house so i might use a 40watt bulb to give a tiny bit of heat.

Also i built a flyscreen lid for the tank, in order to keep it humid i may place a piece of glass over half of it to keep some of the humidity in?

Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back