Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Mommy

jojo1308

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently reside in Northwestern Lower Michigan. While visiting friends and family in California I fell in love with Axolotals. Today I aquired 4 babies, 2 of which are Albinos and I'm thrilled. I have read up quite alot about them on this site and to be honest, it's more than a little intimidating. They're about 2 inches long right now. A few weeks ago I set up an aquarium with a filter, black sand, a cave, a couple plastic plants and a couple zebras to get the ecology going. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I don't know anything about axolotls, but welcome to the site!:D
I am not sure about mixing the zebras with the axies. The zebras are fish, right? I have heard of great caution on putting different species together. Usually bad things happen! There is a whole section on that. I don't know where the link is. It is around here somewhere...

Anyway, if you could post pictures, I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see them!

Have fun, and good luck to you!
Critter Mom

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a Michigan native myself. Where abouts are you?

I agree with CM here. Danios and axolotls (especially axolotls that small) don't mix. You'll lose gills and feet. Read www.axolotl.org to get you started. Then if you have more questions, you can ask them in the axolotl section of the forum.

And I'm curious as to how you saw axolotls in Cali. They're illegal there!

madeve

Reaction score
I think she only put in the fish to cycle the tank. Or at least that's how I understood it.

I'm also a bit shocked that she asked for advise and was barely given any. Anyways I'd start with reading the axolotl.org website as it is very informative. Then the care sheet has more good info. And of course the good old cycling an water quality articles.
Let's not forget the micro foods for larvae and the foods for caudates articles.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new little axies !!!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
She got the same information you gave. Axolotl.org has all the info she needs to get started.

She's doing a quick start on her tank using zebra fish and was warned against keeping them with the axies, the pertinent information from her post.

And this is the introductions area, not the help section.

BTW - HI & Welcome Jojo!

madeve

Reaction score
No offense but when I got started the cycling and water quality section of the axolotl.org website was complete gibberish to me (I am after all not a native English speaker). I found that the caudata culture article was much easier to understand.
I agree this is not the help section but then again I have heard several members and mostly moderators complain about the same questions being asked again and "newbies" not using the search function instead and wasting their time.
Sorry for bogging down this thread but I felt I had to say something since I believe I provided her with quite a bit of useful information. I thought helping her would be a good thing but I guess you have to be condoned for doing so out of the help section.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There's no call for this, ladies.

Providing information is fine. Berating others for not providing it is not. If you want to continue it, take it to PM.

madeve

Reaction score
I would like to apologize as I didn't see the link you provided Kaysie. I guess that's what you get for reading in a rush !!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1