Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bunnygirl

Reaction score
Hello,
I am very interested in Tiger's I had never had salamanders before, but I have several reptile, and I recently emptied a 20G Long and I want to setup a complew viv for something small. I am just looking for information on their care from owners of tigers. I also need to find somewhere to get one. I have no places near me that sell sallies. Thank you so much.

My questions:

1) Is a 20 long large enough for 1 tiger?

2) How long to they live?

3) What is their typical adult size?

4) what kind of setup do they use? (semi-aquatic, terrestrial, ETC)

5) What is the best food sorce for them?

6) Can they be handled?

7) Can you buy full grown adults?

8) How much do they typically cost?

Jake

Reaction score
My questions:

1) Is a 20 long large enough for 1 tiger?

2) How long to they live?

3) What is their typical adult size?

4) what kind of setup do they use? (semi-aquatic, terrestrial, ETC)

5) What is the best food sorce for them?

6) Can they be handled?

7) Can you buy full grown adults?

8) How much do they typically cost?

(I felt this was more appropriate here than in the advanced section so I moved it)

1: Yes, a 20 long is a good size for one tiger salamander.
2: They can live a long time. If you get one it will be wild-caught so there is no way of knowing it's age unless you get a larva or juvenile.
3: My adults are all around 9-11 inches long, but they can get a lot bigger than that.
4: They require a fully terrestrial tank with lightly moist mulch/soil and a shallow water dish.
5: The best food is nightcrawlers. You can feed them nothing but nightcrawler their whole life (after they're big enough to swallow it at least)
6: Salamanders do not enjoy being handled, they're "eyes only" pets. They should only be handled when necessary.
7: Yes, you can buy full grown adults, but depending on where you're located it might be better to collect your own. By collecting your own you can choose which one you get, and pick a healthy one.
8: In the US tiger salamanders shouldn't cost more than $10...you can pick them up off the ground after a good rain.

Have a look at the caudata culture care sheet for them. They're extremely hardy salamanders and a good first choice. http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=14&de=681003

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1