My Axolotl set up

Kyryah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a few shots of the Axies and their home. (And yes I know I need a background, lol.)

Full tank

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1473.jpg

cabomba and frogbit

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1463.jpg

Can you find the Axie?

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1464.jpg

Ah, there he is. Say "hi" to Fred

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1485.jpg

Can't forget Lucy

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1480.jpg

Maylasian trumpet snail peeking out of the sand.

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1479.jpg

Ghost shrimp sneaking out for a meal. Will he be survivor or snack? Time will tell :)

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1001.jpg

Kristina

Hehe cool with a shrimp in the tank but i have high doubts that he'll survive :p
I feed my Axolotls with shrimp most of the time and they love this things ;)

LOL, the shrimp come and go. There are usually 6-8 in there, and when the numbers drop to 1 or 2 I buy some more :) That particular shrimp has survived for about 4 months, a record I think :)

Kristina

haha ok, well aren't they abit expensive to buy as food?

wow ok, big freshwater shrimps in sweden is really expensive. Of course that depends on the specie but they usually go for about around 200 SEK (around 25$) each here.

Wow nice tank! The plants really compliment the settings. Looks like a mini landscape; I think you've got some aquascaping talent there :) Of course, your axolotls look great as well.

I agree a background will accentuate everything more. I'm also in the process of painting the back of one of my tanks with latex paint (black) because I hate those tape on backgrounds. Please do post a picture afterward when you apply the background.

How big is the trumpet snail?
I wouldn't reccommend keeping it in the tank if it is over 1cm in length.

Hi Kyryah,

I must say your tank set up is beautiful. That rock centerpiece with the cave is rather unique.

Cheers.

Great set up,I couldn't find them at first.:D When I did ,they are very nice.:happy:

Thanks everyone :)

The rock with the cave underneath is actually my filter housing. I really love it. That is why I scaped the one side to allow for more height, so that I could use it. I was using large river rock before, and I really like the sand better.

I use only real plants in all of my tanks, I really do not like plastic plants. Not only that but real plants use up any ammonia and extra nutrients in the water, helping to reduce algae too. I currenly have 7 aquatic tanks, ranging from 5 gal to 75 gal.

The MTS live in the substrate, cleaning up waste and stirring the sand.

Kristina

Its really nice looks, but i think you should consider putting a background on the tank or just color it

That is such a cool set up :D

i hope to produce something just as good when i decided to keep these cute little creatures :D

Thanks :) I really love it. I am going to change it around a bit because we just bought a new house and I have the PERFECT place for the tank, in a cubby where it can be seen from both the kitchen and the living room :) No background needed, lol. I will put up pics when I do.

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

Fred has such lovely markings. Who could forget Lucy? She's gorgeous!

Great tank setup. I do have a concern though. How deep is that sand bank on the right? Gas pockets will tend to develop in substrates deeper than an inch and these can wreak havoc with water quality.

I would strongly recommend you read Findi's post in this thread, as I think I can see some black bands in your sand and this may be a sign of anaerobic bacteria developing: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56698&highlight=anaerobic

Hi Kristina,

Fred has such lovely markings. Who could forget Lucy? She's gorgeous!

Great tank setup. I do have a concern though. How deep is that sand bank on the right? Gas pockets will tend to develop in substrates deeper than an inch and these can wreak havoc with water quality.

I would strongly recommend you read Findi's post in this thread, as I think I can see some black bands in your sand and this may be a sign of anaerobic bacteria developing: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56698&highlight=anaerobic

I am an aquariust with 15 years experience, and well aware of the differences in using sand and gravel. The sand is stirred weekly, and the Malaysian Trumpet snails are adept diggers. That is their purpose in the habitat. The bands are not black, they are brown, and simple diatoms.

Kristina

You're axolotl's are lovely :)

Looks really nice, i think you have done a great job of that. Cant wait to start doing my axie tank :D.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back