A NEW(t) experience!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just come back from a short break in Southern England, Dorset to be precise and a had a wonderful experience with some Palmate newts.

I know this probably doesn't compare with all you guys in the US with your salamander experiences, nothing quite so exotic, but for me it was something I will never forget.

The local area was conifer forests and open heathland, there were lots of boggy areas and some small pools of still water. I wasn't really expecting to see anything, but had a look in the first pool I found by the side of a busy cycle track/footpath. I was so excited when I saw a newt there! There wasn't time at this stage to stop for long so I made a date with myself to return and spend some time there, I figured if there was one there had to be more.

So later on in the same day I went back and settled myself down to watch for newts. I was sat about half an hour before I saw any (the path by me was busy, must've kept the newts wary). I took some photos but they were rubbish, too much glare on the surface of the water. I bided my time though and was rewarded with a female floating near the suface snapping at a bubble. I took lots of photos, much better this time! By this time I was sat on the bank with my feet in the water!

I noticed a male newt chasing after a female (at this point I didn't know which were males and which were females). He swam in front of her and started fanning his tail, then I knew which was the male! He was displaying to her for ages, I took photos and video'd it too (though the quality of my filming leaves a lot to be desired!) I was so happy to see this intimate glimpse into a wild newts life and I thought, well you can't top that!

But you can and I did!

As I was sat just watching the newts doing their thing, I felt something tickling my toes. A female newts had come over to check me out! She tried biting my toenails, then climbed on my foot. She was walking over my feet and nibbling my toes for about half an hour! I was just grinning all over my face! It's a good job that by then the footpath was quieter, people would think me insane!

So of course I returned to that pool again and again over the 3 days I was staying nearby. I also found many more pools and ditches with Palmate newts in, but the first one was the best. It was easy to see the newts, a comfortable viewing spot and with an unforgettable experience too!

This morning I made my final trip to the pool to say goodbye to 'my' newts. I was sat for about half an hour and in that short space of time I saw 8 newts and a female laying an egg on a plant.

So, that was my weekend, what a wonderful time I had, I hope I can visit this area again soon.

I hope you enjoyed my little tale.

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 384
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 347
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
What a lovely post and photo's. I was studying a pond today , hoping to see some newt activity. All I saw was tadpoles and beetles .

Great story - thank you for sharing it with us Kerry. You know you cold always collect an egg or two and raise the larvae? That's always fun and perfectly legal for that species. It's odd that in Dorset you only saw Palmates. They often share their habitat with Smooths/Commons and I would have thought you'd have seen both. Cresteds prefer bigger pools so I'm not surprised you didn't see those. I'd love to see your video and I'm sure others would too.

Kerry 1968, Thank you for sharing this with us! After this semester is over, I'm heading straight to the local newt spot to see if they'll climb on my feet... don't wait up.

How exciting! Ive been wanting to check out the local newts, and you just gave me the inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va2m9DQETzE

I am hoping the above is the video I took of the male newt displaying to the female.

Please excuse the quality of my filming and bear in mind it is unedited.

I like the bit right at the end where he does a final big flick of his tail then realises the female has gone!

Last edited:
Great pictures and video!

Congrats on an excellent day!

(I must say the video reminds me of my sailor days in London...I'd show up with drinks just to realize she was gone.:rofl:)

Enjoyed your video, Kerry. Thanks for posting it. A farmer friend tells me he now has palmate newts as well as smooth newts in his quite recently excavated ponds and it's something I want to check out this week

Next time my wife complains about her feet and needing a pedicure, I'll tell her to go and dangle them in the Pleurodeles waltl tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back