Salamanders that can tolerate a 20-26 degree celsius temperature range

AU SalamanderRG

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Are there any Urodelans that can survive in this range? Asking because I live in the Philippines. Yes, tropical, near the equator Philippines.

I am, however, willing to do what I need to cool them if necessary.

Most all salamanders or newts would be comfortable at 20-22C but 26C is almost a death sentence for most of them. I can't think of any of the top of my head that would survive 26C for very long. Maybe someone else could chime in with more specific information.

I have to agree with Justin on this one. The information he provided is spot on in my opinion.

Even given the temperatures in their home range, those little fellows still like it cool. It appears the few streams they inhabit are in deep ravine and cave like and remain in the shade most of the day, coupled with cold mountain fed water. However, I am by no means an expert on this species, and basing my statements off of research from the web.

I could be completely wrong.

So, at least, what would be the most efficient way to get my temp down? I live in the Philippines and indoor temps are around 26, so either keeping temperature tolerant salamanders or cooling down the temps of the terrariums/aquariums seem to be my current options now.

Hi,
Keepers in warm climates are normally reliant on air conditioning to lower temperatures, although this presents a significant risk should your power supply fail. Thermal tolerances are generally lessened if the temperature change is not gradual - in other words, caudates don't do well with sudden temperature increases i.e. your air con stops. I personally wouldn't attempt to keep temperate animals as pets if I lived in a tropical or desert environment. I'm not sure I could cope with the stress :errr:.

This article has some ideas for cooling tanks: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

For warm climates your only real options for long term cooling are air con or an aquarium chiller.

Cynops ensicauda is one species which tolerates warmer temperatures. 20-26C would suit it fine.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_ensicauda.shtml

- Mark

Well, like it or not, the fact that I live in the Philippines isn't going to stop my desire for said herps.

That said, any other, alternative means of cooling would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if keeping the AC on 24/7 would be an option, but keeping them with ice/ice water (Yes, I'd then always have to replace the ice.) has crossed my mind.

Per chance, are there any other species that can tolerate that temp range?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back