Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand, logs & general tank set-up

baurelio

Reaction score
Hello axie lovers!
So my boyfriend and I set up our tank Monday and we got what we thought was big gravel but I think we might have to take out the $13 gravel and buy some sand instead ..

How much does aquarium sand run?

&& what places sell the half-log looking things and what not because at petsmart we found nothing a full grown axie could hide in or swim through, everything was too small like for fish, and there were no logs

How long must the water filter before putting a new axie in? How much current can they handle, just a mild on the surface of one side?? and one last question, PH, nitrite & nitrate tests should be performed before right?

any cheap and helpful tips are much appreciated!
THANKS!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Baurelio,

Its always best to do some research before acquiring a new pet. It seems like a lot to wade through at first but these links would equip you with all the essential knowledge. i shall attempt to provide some quick answers to your queries but it is imperative that you spend some time reading up the articles as provided below.

You may use freshwater aquarium sand, pool filter sand or even children play pit sand. Freshwater aquarium sand is a tad more expensive to acquire but you would not need a large amount. Just an inch or even slightly less of sand substrate would suffice.

You can create your own hiding spots, in fact i think a lot of the really attractive hiding places are customised do-it-yourself projects. Have a look at some of them on the gallery. You can use pots, urns, pipes, rocks and slates to create your own series of caves and labrinyth. Most pet shops do stock ready made logs and caves, try scouting around the reptile care section of the shop as well. Sometimes there are items meant for turtles and lizards that are as attractive and can serve the purpose.

Once you set your filter running, you should let it run continuously, do not turn it on and off intermittently. You are right that water parameter testing is necessary. Start the habit of regular water testing and recording so you have an idea of how your tank water parameter changes and thus determine water changing shedules. You can keep a little notebook for recording purposes.

Most importantly, establishing a cycled tank is crucial to ensure your axies live comfortably and healthily. This process can take some time, even months but is a vital component of axie husbandry.

http://www.axolotl.org/

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

PS. - Don't forget your homework! ;)

Cheers.

Cheers

tran

Reaction score
How much does aquarium sand run?
I got a 50 lb bag of beige pool filter sand at Ace hardware for $12, but I had to ask them to order it (no extra charge for that) so you might want to try there or your local pool supply store. Aquarium sand that they sell at the pet store costs much more than that so pool filter sand is much cheaper and looks terrific, IMO.

Also your local hardware store also sells children's play sand. They run for even less than $10 for a 50 lb bag. But I think the color of the pool filter sand looks much nicer, i.e. more "natural" :) depends on you though.

what places sell the half-log looking things and what not because at petsmart we found nothing a full grown axie could hide in or swim through, everything was too small like for fish, and there were no logs
I guess it depends on the Petsmart, because the one near me have lots of good and large hides. You can order online (like at Big Al's Online, or another store) they usually have a better selection. You can make your own hides too by providing some cut planter pots, vases, cut PVC piping, opaque cups, etc. Driftwood in the right shape makes good hides too. Take a look through the gallery here, you will get some nice ideas from other people's set ups.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Derm

Reaction score
Wal-mart also has some $10 stumps and logs and i bought a turtle kinda ramp that my axies love to go under and hang out on top of.

elchicano

Reaction score
You can go to home depot or lowe's and find a bag of play sand for under $10. Also while your at it you can check out the gardening section and find some interesting hiding spots for your axies.

Derm

Reaction score
Oh yeah I got a 50lb bag of play sand there for like $5 and I used it all to layer my 55 gallon tank with.

baurelio

Reaction score
Hi Baurelio,

Its always best to do some research before acquiring a new pet. It seems like a lot to wade through at first but these links would equip you with all the essential knowledge. i shall attempt to provide some quick answers to your queries but it is imperative that you spend some time reading up the articles as provided below.

You may use freshwater aquarium sand, pool filter sand or even children play pit sand. Freshwater aquarium sand is a tad more expensive to acquire but you would not need a large amount. Just an inch or even slightly less of sand substrate would suffice.

You can create your own hiding spots, in fact i think a lot of the really attractive hiding places are customised do-it-yourself projects. Have a look at some of them on the gallery. You can use pots, urns, pipes, rocks and slates to create your own series of caves and labrinyth. Most pet shops do stock ready made logs and caves, try scouting around the reptile care section of the shop as well. Sometimes there are items meant for turtles and lizards that are as attractive and can serve the purpose.

Once you set your filter running, you should let it run continuously, do not turn it on and off intermittently. You are right that water parameter testing is necessary. Start the habit of regular water testing and recording so you have an idea of how your tank water parameter changes and thus determine water changing schedules. You can keep a little notebook for recording purposes.

Most importantly, establishing a cycled tank is crucial to ensure your axies live comfortably and healthily. This process can take some time, even months but is a vital component of axie husbandry.

http://www.axolotl.org/

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

PS. - Don't forget your homework! ;)

Cheers.

Cheers

Thank you, I read up about a lot of the info you helped with! But I plan to take my gravel out soon & take some water out and possibly buy some sand! But thanks for all the help on the more important questions!

Last edited by a moderator:

baurelio

Reaction score
Ok another question I have, is how many lbs of sand would I need to buy for a 20 gal tank?

I only want to have about an inch of sand in there

Thanks!! :]

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Baurelio,

What are the dimensions of your tank? To estimate the volume of sand you would need, multiply the surface area (length x width of tank) x 1 inch (height).

Cheers

baurelio

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the dimensions, but all that we could buy was a 50 lb. bag but we'll get pics up soon!

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
If you use the cheap sand box play sand, make sure to rinse it very thoroughly. It can have quite a lot of tiny particles that will cloud the water unless rinsed. When I did it, I used a 5 gallon bucket and put 3 or 4 inches of sand in the bottom and rinsed it with the house until the water was clear.

My axie tank has Tahitian moon sand. It's the most expensive sand I've ever bought, but it really is beautiful and contrasts with the white axies so well. If you are willing to spend the $$$, it is worth the extra expense.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
For ease of maintenance, I personally prefer no substrate for axolotls. This makes cleaning and proper water chemistry much easier to control.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1