Tiny insect larvae?

Vidofner

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Just noticed something that looks like mosquito larvae but smaller in my axolotl tank. Is this anything to be worried about? I feed my axolotls mostly with shrimp and have slow waterflow.
Only thing i could think if that it could be is snail but they dont make larvaes like this do they? I got a minor snail infection after i bought some new plants but they seem to have dissapeared due to many water changes and ice in the tank.

Are you able to post a photo its very hard to tell without one

Are you able to post a photo its very hard to tell without one
These guys are way to tiny to catch on my crappy camera. But what i can tell you is that they are around 1 cm long (the longest ones) and like 0.5 mm wide. They start shaking like insect larvae does once every 10 sec or something.

The color is kinda beige

Are you feeding your axolotl live glass shrimp?

Are the "insects" staying close to the surface and move like a mosquito larva?
If so have you considered that they might be newly hatched glass shrimp? The larval shrimp are zooplankton in freshwater and behave similarly to mosquito larva.

Ed

I feed them with frozen shrimp without shell. The larvae moves around all over the tank but mostly on the top half of the tank

I does sound like mosquito larvea, they breed in still/slow water and hang around the surface.

It could also be small parasites from the shrimp and other things you may put in the water

If they look like they hang from the underside of the surface of the water, are shaped like little "l"s and move by folding over into "U"s and back and forth like that, they are mosquito larvae. They are eagerly eaten by all of my caudates.

It cant be mosquito larvae. I just said they resembled them... or well i guess there is a fraction of a chance that it could be a mosquito but I live in Stockholm (capital of sweden) and even though i got some trees and stuff around my apartment i really doubt some mosquito would sneak into my apartment :)

All i wanna know is if, what ever insect it, this could be in any danger for my axies?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back