New Tank!

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
Hi!

I'm off to pick up my new tank today. I've read so many articles, and I'm sorry if I seem stupid, But I can't get my head around them! In regards to cycling, that is.

I know its time consuming, but is there any way possible you could give me a few hints? Is it wise to keep a goldfish in the tank to assist in the cycling process?

How do I start? Should I just fill the tank with dechlorinated water, and also, should I position all plants and other 'hiding places' for the axie before the cycling process begins to assist the process?

Sorry to be a pain!!

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

Yes, so right - but without the goldfish. Fishes needs a full cycled tank. But you may put in some snails, like blister snails or pointed mud snails (I dont know if the snails were correctly translated - I found it in a dictionary:rolleyes:). At later times the snails are for feeding your axies.:D

Hi!

I wasn't aware goldfish needed the same thing. My mum has had the same two goldfish for about 6 years, and she swears by cleaning the water once a week, letting it stand to room temp. No filter used.

They are massive!!

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

Hi Mike,

Having something in the tank will help the cycle , this could be something live or even a piece of food. However the best thing for tank cycling is patience and time.

Most important are regular water parameter checks for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and 20-30% water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back