My Fire Salamanders

Hooky87

Reaction score
Country
England
I got my first fire salamanders this week, two Gigliolli and two Terrestris thanks to Ben cheers mate. I have Photos on my profile as i aint got a clue how to post Pics.

Congratulations!
I´ve been looking for gigliolii for quite a while now, but they keep avoiding me...:(

Can someone please tell me at what age or size you can sex Fire Salamanders, and what to look out for.

I guess depending on the subspecies you can expect them to be mature at around 11-12cm long? Not sure, maybe someone with experience with this animals will chime in.
What you need to look for is the cloaca. Enlarged means male. The difference between male and female cloacas is hard to miss. There are other signs like adult size, over-all roundness of the body....but the cloaca usually is more than enough to tell.

You can sex males when they're two years old while females mature usually a year later. Size depends on subspecies...S. s. salamandra mature when they usually measure 13-14 cm.
Hope this helps
Francesco

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back