Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help locating neotenic or large larvae in Texas for research project

paris

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know some of you may know this and I would apreciate the help as I am limited on time. I am leaving for Texas tomorrow and my schedule for timing my start of research gives me about a week to locate enough A tigrinum to do my research project. I am based in Umbarger , which is south of Amarillo. My study is on the effect of predators on phenotypic plasticity and is similar to one done in Japan (which i modeled some of my methods from). My protocol calls for large larvae, neotenics or as a last resourt morphed ones. I had a bunch of neotenics last year before the flooding but most morphed out a month into captivity. The isolated pit i got them from flooded and they now are spread out throughout the flooded basin area. I dont have an electroshocker, so the manhours to locate them in the dam will probably be prohibitive. I will only use morphed ones when I have exhausted the other options.
ANYWAYS..so here is what I need, a specific location for any gilled A tigrinum, preferably from within a 3 hours drive of Canyon TX. It will probably be a playa that has stayed wet over the winter or filled early. We have a collection permit, IACUC approval and about a weeks time. They will not be destroyed or harmed in the project and will be released once it is complete.

Can anyone help me out?

katebutton

Reaction score
I don't know if you're on the Center for North American Herpetology mailing list, but you may want to e-mail Joe Collins at KU and have him post this there also...for people looking to collect reptiles or amphibians for research projects, it's a great resource and you'll probably get some good suggestions from others in the scientific community.

eyrops

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it...if exact locality is not an issue, there is always the live bait store...

Yes. Also, if you search on "waterdogs" "bait", you will find them. This is unfortunate for several reasons but if these animals suit your research needs it's a better use of them than fish bait. However, if you are looking to collect your own, this resource provides some helpful information:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/monmanual/techniques/mudpuppieswaterdogsvarious.htm

-Steve Morse

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1