Re: Hi

Jye

Muted for unacceptable behaviour
Reaction score
Country
Australia

I'm just wondering how you got your axolotls to breed. Was there a special way you did it? A breeder I know puts his axolotls in an icecream container, puts them in the fridge for a week, and then puts them back in their tank to breed them. How do you do it? Mine have laid eggs but it was a bit unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

my axies do that all alone, without my helping hands.:D
Late in autumn they begin laying eggs, some weeks (6-8) later they lay again and so they do till spring comes.

-Tina-

Hi Jye,

Axolotls are prolific breeders.

To increase their chances of breeding successfully, ensure that you have a pair of healthy sexually matured axies of opposite sex.

Keep their tank environment optimum. Ensure good water parameters and temperature. The presence of aquatic plants and hiding spots do help as well. Also keep them well fed with nutritious food types - earthworms etc.

Stimulus for breeding includes temperature changes and difference in photo period (amount of light exposure). Thus, gradually decreasing their temperature and light exposure could be the trigger you require.

In Australia, Axies tend to breed between May - Aug, to coincide with the cooler (darker) winter months.

Cheers.

What part of sydney do you live?

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back