Brains??!

psychoboyjack

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Howdy.

I noticed this morning that my girl has something funky going on inside of her head. I did just read something about an abscess and I really hope it's not that. I hope the pictures did it justice. There's no physical part that's coming out yet - it's just discolouration under the skin that makes me go ?!?

Hopefully some of you smarty pants can figure this out. :)

She's moving around just fine, everything else is normal (temp, parameters, everything.) The only thing that has happened recently is that she laid more eggs. Sigh. :( The last batch I raised all died after about a month after hatching. Wasn't cool.

If you can't really tell from the pictures it's over her left eye. The lighter colour that almost makes me think it's giant acne on her face. :|

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 176
Hi,

it looks like an abscess and you should go to a vet to let it open and get some antibiotics.

In the meantime put your axie into the fridge in a box with fresh and declorinated water, to slow down his metabolism.

-Tina-

I agree. Vets are the only ones who should attempt to lance/aspirate an abscess.

That doesn't look like an abscess to me, sorry.
For it to be an abscess there would've had to have been some sort of wound there previously.
An abscess is when foreign bodies or body enter through a puncture or wound and infect the area, this looks like something that has always been there, but now it's starting to show.
Kind of looks like a tumour, but the photos could be better.
Take it to a vet, that's my advice.

Do you remember when it started, could there be anything in the tank/setup that could have pierced the skin???

As others have suggested you should get someone professional to have a look at it.

In the meantime keep it quarantined in the fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Psychoboyjack,

It is difficult to definitively diagnose what the lesion is at the moment without further testing. Your vet would be able to perform a fine needle aspirate to collect some cells for staining and microscopy. That would confirm whether the lump is an abscess, a tumor or some overt healing mechanism (seroma, granuloma etc.).

Only after diagnosing what the lump is, can appropriate medication or treatment be administered. Based on just the photos, i would say my topmost differential is an abscess. A small nick could introduce bacteria seeding. When the nick has healed over, bacteria continues to grow and an abscess can form (walled off). If it is indeed abscess, it would need to be drained and antibiotics administered.

Cheers.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Just what I don't want to hear. I don't know what vet to take her too! No one says "We Specialize in Axotols!" Looks like I'll be doing some research around here.

The way it started was a faint red mark on her head that was a long time ago, I'm not sure the time frame. Then the past week that white part has been showing more and more. It doesn't seem to be pressing up and out and she's still moving around fine. :| It's like when they were younger and you could see her brain and organs and stuff. There hasn't been any injury - I would have noticed it. Every week when I clean the tank I make sure I give them a good look over to make sure everything is there. :)

How do you approach vets about this? I even think I'm pronouncing their name wrong, so that might even add to the confusion. I say Ax-Oh-Lots, not Ax-Oh-Lot-Uls like some places have said. Maybe it's a Canadian thing like Audi. :3

Ugh. Ugh.

Ugh! I should just put them in bubble wrap and some water. That way no chance of an injury! I don't think this is one, though. It would be the first in over a year of being in this tank! And there's nothing sharp or hurtful in there for her either. :|

Thanks again for the help though you guys. Much <3.

There should be someone in your area who specializes in caudata. It might mean driving a couple o' hours though..

Good luck finding a vet...our axolotyl had to have a tumour removed today and it was a 2 hour drive away to the only one in our city. I feel your pain!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back