Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: help with identifying this salamander?

buttonfamily

Reaction score
CIMG8024.jpg

Hi :) I'm new to the board.... We found this little guy in our backyard yesterday while gardening. We live in Oklahoma and it has rained here.... A LOT lately, so that's probably why he was so easy to find! I've looked at lots of pics, but am unable to find out what kind he is.... anyone know??

Lindsay

jbherpin

Reaction score
It would be much easier if State of origin was disclosed. Locality kept ambigous, of course. It is definately an Ambystoma, agreed...If i were to venture a guess...Texanum(Smallmouth).

-jbherpin-

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Its kind of hard to count the costal grooves in the picture but I count 10 that makes its a Mole Salamander. Which from what I can gather is only found in the southeastern corner of the state.
Small-mouths have 14-15 grooves. Another suspect would be a Slimy Salamander which is more slender in build, found in extreme eastern OK but that has 16 grooves which looks to be way to many for what you have there. So I think Mole Salamander wins. Nice find

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
you know after stareing at that picture the tail looks to long to be a mole Salamander. Did you count the costal grooves? I think missed a few

oregon newt

Reaction score
That looks like a small mouth salamander. The mole salamander's head is much larger in proportion to its body.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I count somewhere between 13 and 16 coastal grooves upon enlargement of the picture, I place my vote as Ambystoma texanum, the Smallmouth Salamander.

jbherpin

Reaction score
It would be much easier if State of origin was disclosed. Locality kept ambigous, of course. It is definately an Ambystoma, agreed...If i were to venture a guess...Texanum(Smallmouth).

-jbherpin-

I'm a fool, I didn't see "Oklahoma" the first time I read it....Sorry! Is the belly gray or black? Mole's are said to have a more gray belly, while Smallmouth's are described as more black.

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1