Golden with black eyes?

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi there
I currently have some 3 month old baby axolotls
I am trying to figure out what they are.

They came from 'white parents' i was told.

The eggs were brown, now they seem to be a golden colour their gills seem golden too (not quite pink)
But they have black eyes.

I will try and get some pics but they are still not very large and my camera isn't very good!

Thanks
Mel

How long are they ? I Had some babies that looked like your describing, as they grew and developed they turned out to be normal wildtypes.

I have one abot 10 cms the others are smaller.

they do have very slight pigmentation on their heads and down their backs but not much at all.

their gills are orangy and also their skin.

Thanks
Mel

Photos please :).

Leucistic or Melanoid Leucistic. Melanoid Leucistic would explain the yellow.

Thank you!
I will get my camera found and post some proper pics.

I bet you get loads of what is my axie questions so thank you

Mel

There are melanoid leucistics. What other types are there? I know of melanoids, leucistics, melanoid albinos, golden albinos, wild types, axanthic albinos, and white albinos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get an albino from a male albino and a black eyed female?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to share this - the Axolotl on the left is being sold within the UK pet trade as a Gold. ...if you look close; there is a slight yellow tinge to it (in fact the yellow is more apparent on the photo - than by eye). The one on the right is a Leucistic.

DSC00676.jpg

I'm not great with colours - but personally, I'd class these both as Leucistic; and assume the yellow tint will fade as it gets older. I'm keeping both these Axolotls - so time will tell.

What do you think?

Looks Leucistic to me. I don't believe all leucistics are creamy-white. I think there's a lot of subtle variation, from snow-white, to off-white, to almost-yellow.

As far as the albinos: if the black eyed female (either wildtype, melanoid, or leucistic) is carrying the albino gene, and mates with an albino male (or a male carrying the albino gene), they can have albino offspring. I believe (and maybe someone else can verify this, since I've never had albino eggs) the albino embryos are white from the beginning, even if the mother is dark.

As far as the albinos: if the black eyed female (either wildtype, melanoid, or leucistic) is carrying the albino gene, and mates with an albino male (or a male carrying the albino gene), they can have albino offspring. I believe (and maybe someone else can verify this, since I've never had albino eggs) the albino embryos are white from the beginning, even if the mother is dark.

I was wondering if a dark egg ~ could develop to be an Albino (e.g. Female: Wild Type with Albino gene - with Albino Male - but dark egg). As white eggs can develop to be non-albino.

I assume not, as I assume the dark egg isn't displaying the albino gene - but don't know for sure.

gene_table.gif

http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

Eggs don't display genes, they are either black or white depending on the phenotype of the mother. That is all.

That left leucistic should be not yellow tinted all over if it is a leucistic - I'd like to see a side photo before I say anything else.

Eggs don't display genes, they are either black or white depending on the phenotype of the mother. That is all.

Does that mean a black egg - can develop to be an albino? (assuming both parents have the correct genetics) :confused:

That left leucistic should be not yellow tinted all over if it is a leucistic - I'd like to see a side photo before I say anything else.

I don't have a side photo ~ but; this is a closer one I took the other day. Again, the yellow is more visible on the photo; than by the naked eye.

DSC00669.jpg

Yes a dark egg can develop into an albino - the colour of the egg has nothing to do with the animal it develops into.

That photo doesn't help.

Yes a dark egg can develop into an albino - the colour of the egg has nothing to do with the animal it develops into.

That photo doesn't help.

Thanks John, that explains some strange looking hatchlings I lost earlier in the year then. :eek:

I'll try and get another photo next week. Cheers, Phil

I know of GFP White Albino and Leucistic, that have that same coloration.
The Golden Albino has golden eyes and the White Albino has white eyes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back