Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

newts eating less

superfin

Reaction score
Hi all :happy:. My Chinese fire bellied newts are eating very little. They used to eat all of the frozen foods I have (blood worms and daphnia) but now they only eat a little bit of the stuff. They do not look sickly or thin, and I have checked ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Ammonia is a little high but I have lowered it. Can anyone help me?

Chris:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Mine (a male and a female) were eating a ton up until the other day. I decided they were mad that I separated them w/ a tank divider. I first put them in separate tanks, but then needed the tank for some larva, so they're in a 10 gallon with a separator. They ate today, but still not like they had been. We're looking at temperatures outside approaching 90. How is it where you are? Maybe the weather has something to do with it and the separation here was a coincidence? I'm not sure. Give it a little time. Maybe try live food. I got some blackworms today from the people on our site and that seemed to get them interested. I usually feed frozen and thawed bloodworms. I should be getting some of Dawn's white worms, too, soon. I need these small worms for the larva.

Good luck. Monitor them and post again if no one more experienced has any more advice.

Dana

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My question would be, how long have you had them? When they first come into captivity, they are likely to have been less-well-fed in the wild, and then starved on the way to the pet shop (and in the pet shop). After an initial period of eating like crazy, they may simply have fattened up and need less.

superfin

Reaction score
I've had them since last june so you might be right:happy:

chris:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1