Question: Tumbled Glass as Substrate?

PhxJosh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found some "tumbled glass" which is basically beach glass, it has NO sharp edges or anything, it's actually made specifically for fish tanks.

Would this be alright?

How big are the pieces ? You really should avoid any thing small enough to fit in the axies mouth ,because there is a chance some could get swallowed and cause problems like impaction.
Sand or a bare bottom tank are the best choices .

Hi PhxJosh,

Slimer gave good advice. If you intend to use any substrate, bear in mind they do make maintaining the tank slightly more difficult (need to siphon off detritus among substrate).

You have two main options if you want to use substrate. Sand will be best substrate to use. This includes pool filter sand, freshwater aquarium sand or children play pit sand. Particle size of the sand grain should be 2mm or less in diameter.

The other option is the use of large pieces of slate. In this case, make sure the type of rock you are using are firstly safe to use in freshwater tanks (doesn't leach out, alter pH etc) and that the pieces are way to big to be swallowed by the axie. Due to the difference in axie sizes, it would not be safe to rely on a specific numerical value for the diameter but use your judgement. You want the rock pieces preferably about 3 times the size of the axie's head to be safe.

Cheers.

Hi PhxJosh,

Slimer gave good advice. If you intend to use any substrate, bear in mind they do make maintaining the tank slightly more difficult (need to siphon off detritus among substrate).

You have two main options if you want to use substrate. Sand will be best substrate to use. This includes pool filter sand, freshwater aquarium sand or children play pit sand. Particle size of the sand grain should be 2mm or less in diameter.

The other option is the use of large pieces of slate. In this case, make sure the type of rock you are using are firstly safe to use in freshwater tanks (doesn't leach out, alter pH etc) and that the pieces are way to big to be swallowed by the axie. Due to the difference in axie sizes, it would not be safe to rely on a specific numerical value for the diameter but use your judgement. You want the rock pieces preferably about 3 times the size of the axie's head to be safe.

Cheers.

Can I just go with glass on the bottom, no substrate then? I read somewhere that they would have trouble moving around?

I was just going to use some river rocks, about 2-3 inches in size. The glass was too expensive.

My axolotl tank is mainly glass bottomed, they have a sand 'island' in the middle where the plants etc are. They have no problem what so ever scooting around on the glass based section.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back