Multi level tank

ellena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm sorting out a tank for a teacher at the school where I work. She has 2 brown (wild type?) axolotls in quite a small unfiltered tank.
I've been given a 96l tank with filter so came to this forum to see the best way to set it up for them.
They are currently quite inactive and only occupy the very lowest level of the tank. The new tank is quite high (40cm) so we were wondering if we could make another level for them? Kind of like a hamster cage-lol!
Would they need a ramp, or could we just do a sort of mezzanine level?
Or will we find they are more active in a bigger filtered tank anyway?
Thanks for any help and advice :)

Hi,
A good place to start would be here:http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

You will also be able to find other information for your teacher.

Axolotls spend most of there lives on the bottom of the tank and are mostly nocternal and you will find that they will be very active at night.

I am not sure what you mean about the second level and (no offence) it sounds a bit out of the ordinary.

Any way,
Good Luck

I built shelves in my axolotl tank. They went mostly unused. I took them back out.

Axolotls are generally lazy critters. Adults spend most of their time just sitting on the bottom. If you do get a new tank, I suggest one that is long versus high. This will maximize floor space in relation to volume.

Thanks for the replies guys :) Sounds like multi level will be more trouble than it's worth then lol!
We already have the new tank, it was a freebie, too good to miss. It's footprint is 80x30cm and 40cm high.

Hi Ellena!!

I agree with Kaysie, plus I have some experience with that when I was cycling my tank. I have a 90 cms long tank and siliconed a mezzanine level like the one you talked about in the first 30 cms.. I took it away when cycling because as axies needing low currents and my current being low, there was a lot of waste of my fish who were cycling the tank below the terrace and was hard to clean. I hope this can help you!!

I second the hard to clean part. It was a pain overall.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back