How long can they go without food?

ellena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ours live at the school where I work. When they were in their small, unfiltered tank, a teacher took them home in the holidays.
This won't be practical in their new bigger tank, so need to look at holiday arrangements.
I'm in most of the holidays, the longest stretch I'd be away would be 9 days. There are other staff in who might feed them, but not sure as I haven't asked yet.
So how long could they be safely left?

In theory they can cope with 9 days with out food as long as they are fit and healthy and the water conditions are good. Ideally though it would be better for some one to be able to come in and feed them. Will their new tank be able to be kept cool during the summer break however?

Right, I'll see about getting another member of staff to feed them. There's one guy who has lizards, so hopefully he wouldn't be too squeamish-lol!
Not sure about it keeping cool. There's no heating in the summer and the room is completely shaded.

Its just an issue to do with motabilism.

The warmer the water the quicker they will digest food and loose fat.

?!? Put them in the fridge? The tank wouldn't fit, or isn't that what you meant? Fridge them in a smaller container?

Hi!

Fridge them in a small container with a small amount of dechlorinated water, enough to cover them so they can touch the ground, and wrap a damp teat towel around the container. Make sure they are well fed first.

Visit www.axolotl.org for more info!

Mike.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back