newt larvae

EdsExotics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Edward Rafferty
Hey.

My newts last batch of eggs have hatched except one. For about 2 days its been inside its egg. I've seen it wriggling about and I'm just wondering if the larvae cant get stuck inside the jelly or anything like that ??? Also one of my larvae has a bubble like thing on it on the underside of its body where the head is. Does anyone have any idea what that might be?? To me it looks like its got a puffed out throat. All help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, have watched the little newtpoles growing more and more inside their eggs, convinced I was going to see it emerge right away. However, a few have surprised me, despite being what appeared to be fully formed larva for days or more. I'm sure it isn't stuck and will hatch soon enough. The females don't lay in a cluster all at once, so it's very likely this one was deposited days after the others.

I had only one casualty in my 30 larvae. It looked like it could have been born malformed - like a rather large chunk of its little body was missing. Someone posted me and said it could have had a bubble. I just did a quick search on posts I started and couldn't find it, so it may have been part of someone else's post. Another person responded and said that bubbles look like bubbles, so it seemed it would be obvious if that was the case. I'm still not sure if it was a large bubble that I mistook for a void or not.

Follow the article linked in the prior post. I've had a couple swim oddly for a brief time, quarantined them, then felt they were OK to return to the tanks. So far, so good for us. My larvae range from newly hatched to 2 mos. old in three tanks as I didn't want hatchlings being together if over a month apart. My female is still laying eggs though I did separate her and the male.

Do you feel good about the food you're giving them, etc? I believe the risk with bubbles in larvae is that there is more a risk of bloat later or drowning during/right after metamorph.

Good luck - keep us posted,
Dana

Hi.

Thanks for the help guys its made things clearer. And this morning I watched the one still in its eggs fight its way out of it, but it looked like he had been doing it for a few days but he's okay now. The one with a the bubble like thing under its head died this morning. It didn't look too well from the start anyway, was always curled up. And my other 42 larvae all seem nice and healthy and eating well. I'm feeding then on daphnia and microworm both live and frozen they seem to love both. Again thanks for the help.

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back