Terrestrial Salamanders in NY or NJ?

FlameTorch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tammy Lam
I guess you could say I'm not the best experienced when it comes to catching salamanders, but they really are cool to find. Are they abundant in the states I mentioned(US)? Or at least on Long Island, NY? I can't really travel that far from home. I've only found red-backed salamanders in NJ, but I rarely go there :sick:

P. cinereus is abundant throughout NY; I have also found A. maculatum and N. viridescens in NY around where I live and I think they are probably pretty abundant throughout.

Best advice I can give you is a trip to the library or amazon.com and pick up Salamanders of the United States and Canada by J. Petranka.

I recently got a third used copy off of Amazon for 20 dollars free shipping. It is in excellent condition, and trust me when I say this, it is currently THE definitive field guide to caudate identification in the U.S. It makes excellent bathroom reading!:D

Oh sweet! I guess I really should pick that up lol. I might even learn about other species in my area I haven't even heard about. You could easily say I'm pretty confident about this lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back