Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 month old P. waltl larva

liam

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just thought I'd post a couple of photos of some of my Pleuro larvae. These 2 photos depict one individual that is approaching 2 months old now and is already around 7cm long. This wee guy is a voracious feeder, already managing whole earthworms (small ones) along with chopped earthworm, frozen and live bloodworm and whiteworm. He's a pleasure to keep! The first photo was taken around a week ago, with the 2nd taken this afternoon. I have 2 other larvae who are both coming along well, but not nearly so well as this chap. They're around the 4-5cm mark just now.

Cheers!

Liam.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Nice photos! Great looking newt, looks like its going to be a monster later in life. Keep us updated!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks to be right in the middle of metamorphosis. Nice healthy looking critter!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Jen is right, the eyes are really out there. The color seems to be coming in and the skin texture is looking almost juvenile. What tempature is the water? The cooler the water the longer it will stay larval. I wonder how long does this species usually take to morph, mine are in amplexus as of 2 months ago. Soon I'll have some larvae!

liam

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi again,

Thought I'd post a wee update - the larvae are now 3 months old!

The one pictured above (in the first post) has indeed now morphed. All that remains are some wee stubby gills. He's around 10-11cm long now and eating for Scotland! Here he is:

This next photo shows the 2nd biggest larva. He is lagging behind at a mere 6.5cm:

Finally, the smallest larva. This chap is around 6cm long and has only just lost his gills:

These guys are a real joy to keep. I am amazed at just how fast they are growing.

Cheers for now,

Liam.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those are some fine looking Pleuros. Good job!
I discovered this season how cool big larvae are with my dobros...they are so damn easy to care for, it´s brilliant.
It´s nice to see more and more pleuros being bred in captivity, the species is really becoming common in the hobby, which is great since they are such a good choice.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking really good, Liam. Miniature versions of the parents ;). They are and will always be one of my favourites.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful little porker you have there. Nice work!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Nice coloration! I can see a little bit of green in his skin. How big are those guys in inches? I think I have one thats about to morph and he's 2.5 inches.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!