Unexpected eggs! *panics*

Ktlagges

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, yeah, I didn't know what sex my two axolotls were, and I didn't think I'd have to worry about it for another few months, as they're only about 7 mo. old. Came home last night to find around 50 eggs all over the tank.

I really don't know what I'm going to do. Raising some little ones would be really fun and interesting, but I'm not sure I have the time or resources. What should I do if I decide to keep some? I would really only want to try raising a few, and not end up with, like, 20 babies, so what are the odds of each egg hatching? Alternatively, what should I do if I decide I can't keep them?

Either way, I'm going out today to locate a tank divider, to keep this from happening again in the near future.

Your comments are appreciated.

Hiya
First of all dont panic! lol

I got 11 babies out of 30 eggs i had heard you will get between 5 and 15 outta 20.
So you need to decide how many you want and can raise.

There are always people on here willing to take/buy the eggs.
What are your axolotls by the way?

have a good look on here http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm for info on raising the babies.

You could also of course let nature take its course ie leave the eggs in with the adults, they may eat them they may not!

Hope this helps
Mel

Hi,

don´t panic:D

If you wouldn´t breed them, you may leave the eggs in the tank. They will be eaten by the parents.
If you decide to raise some larvae, you may take out some eggs (as much, as you want to raise) and put them into a small box for breeding.

-Tina-

You should be fine until they hatch. :p

The link above will probalbly help with all your worries.

If not ask around here. Thats what it's here for.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back