Question: Pond water

gary1621

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have the opportunity of getting my hands on some Axi eggs :D Doesnt happen very often.

We have a pond in the garden for Koi, the fish are healthy and the water quality checks are fine.

I dont have a tank cycling just yet but was wondering if i kept the eggs in a tank and did water changes from the koi filter this would be ok to hatch them and raise them for now?

Thanks

gary

You can use just ordinary dechlorinated tap water for the eggs. I wouldn't risk using the water from the pond personally. Others may have a different opinion.

Hiya
I got my axie eggs and just kept them in dechlorinated water in tupperware tubs.
I just changed the water every couple of days.
Once hatched i changed the water daily.
Mine are about 3 months old now and still in containers (bigger ones!)

Hope this helps!
Mel

Use of pond water runs all sorts of risks to your pets and their eggs. The odds of introducing something nasty to your captive collection is very, very high even from a healthy pond.

Properly treated and aged tap water is perfectly fine or the use of bottled spring water works too.

Here is some stuff to help get you on the right path to successful rearing, husbandry and tank maintenance practices:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

http://www.axolotl.org/

Thank you so much for all your replies :D

I was just wondering as the pond water is aged and has been cycling for a long while it'd have all the helpful bacteria/enzymes in it... as well as small feeders.

But tap water dechlorinated will be fine :D

Thanks again

Hi Gary,

I've used pond water for years ~ for feeding and part-water changes. Only time I've had any problems, is this year - but it wasn't from my own pond (feeding daphnia from a marsh). And I know people's Koi ponds are usually very clean.

However, there is always a risk when introducing anything from an out-door source.

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil :D
I'm glad to hear there are some positive experiences with pond water. I dont think im going to risk it with my first ever batch of eggs... maybe when a few of them grow on a bit

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back