Axolotls around the world vs. the United States

Munchausen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking around this forum, I've noticed there are a lot of members from the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, but I seldom see other Americans. Are axolotls more popular in other countries and just haven't caught on in the US or is there another reason I don't see a lot of Americans here?

Oh there are lots of us.

We Americans just tend to be a quiet & reserved bunch...

and thats bunk, but its funny!

HI! I'm in the US with axies!

I think the number of Aussies with axies is skewed because they cannot legally own ANY other salamander.

But there are plenty of Americans with axies (like me!).

I see lots of jankies here but i havn't seen a single swede except myself yet :)

Is it because of the Cane Toad invasion?

SUZY is an axi-holic!!!

This is what I found specific to my State, Victoria.

Importing, keeping, breeding and trading exotic reptiles and
amphibians is illegal under the Victorian Catchment and Land
Protection Act 1994 and Commonwealth legislation.

It is also illegal to release exotic reptiles and amphibians into the
wild.

In Victoria, boa constrictors and corn snakes are the most
commonly kept and traded exotic reptiles. Some are traded
illegally through pet stores but most are sold by individuals.
The only exotic amphibian that can be legally kept in Victoria is
the Axolotl, or Mexican Walking Fish. No permit is required.

I also don't think it was because of our Cane Toad problem up north!

Hope this helps with the problem as to why there are so many Aussies that have axies!

Cheers - S.J

Haha axoholic.

I've never even seen an axolotl for sale in the United States. I got mine from a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing. If they were common, I would have had one years ago.

Maybe you see more Aussies because they tend to be more vocal about their axies. In just about every thread I read there is some awesome Aussie putting their two cents in :happy:

that, or we're tired of riding our Kangaroos and fending off venomous snakes and spiders, so we spend time on Caudata talking about axolotls...

I think another factor contributing to the high number of Aussie Axie keepers is the easy access and availability. Unlike in the states, axies tend to come from wholesalers direct to aquarium and pet shops rather than from individual breeders. I have been to one such wholesaler and seeing hundreds of axies concentrated in one spot is a sight to behold.

And no, it has nothing to do with cane toads. Cane toads are scary though. They like to hide in gumboots.

I remember a time when axolotls were very common in pet shops around the U.S. I suspect, at one point there was a "breeder farm" somewhere in the country, but it has since shut down. Personally, I blame the ever increasing popularity of snakes and bearded dragons.

I personally think it's a question of aesthetics. Although I love axies and their quirky charms, most people I meet have either never heard of them/or think they are incredibly hideous. At some point we Americans decided kitsch was not chic, so axolotls with their care requirements and hard to pronounce name never really caught on. While I was looking for mine I went to pet shops all over OR/WA and the response was always the same..."oh, we used to carry axels/mudpups, but they never sold, so we don't have them anymore."

Haha axoholic.

I've never even seen an axolotl for sale in the United States. I got mine from a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing. If they were common, I would have had one years ago.

Hi

To be honest, I have only once seen an axie in a shop, in my 23 years of frequenting them. I only actually discovered their existance in the past 12 months.

I don't think that they are "common", for example, in the way that more conventional pets are, in any country.

And there seems to be a LOT more axies in the for sale section on here, in America, than in UK...and more American axie breeders.

So don't worry Munchausen, you're not on your own!

Zoe

that, or we're tired of riding our Kangaroos and fending off venomous snakes and spiders, so we spend time on Caudata talking about axolotls...

Somehow, this is how I always pictured Australia.

G'day,

Over here, when you walk into a pet store - you are almost 100% sure to find at least one Axie if not a few being kept. However the prices can vary greatly - the chain store near me sells then for $55 AUD, and the cheapest I have found are the small independent aquarium stores that sell them for about $20 AUD. I was speaking to an aquarium guy yesterday and he was saying that they sell at least two a week.

And I'm with Zoe, there ALWAYS seems to be more Americans in the For Sale section than any other nationality.

Cheers :p

Hi

In New Zealand we have 4 million people and 66 million sheep. Axolotls make for a very interesting variant though its very hard to shear an axolotl and even harder to weave their wool.

I own hermit crabs too and they are really cool and not at all scary al all ... yet it's the huntsmen that bother me !! :) I have been known to run a good fast mile upon seeing one of them in my house.

When I lived in the Northern Territory (Aus) in the outback it was common to see snakes, perenties and all sorts of LARGE lizards and creatures... and might I say, everything scary is double the usual size in the Northern Territory.

Hehe Catbeanie,

I so absolutely agree, it must be the desert sands that make them grow larger. I screamed when i saw a giant goanna scuttle past. It was like perentie sized. Super scary. The aboriginal stories also always revolve around recent sightings of the extinct megalania. That is basically a giant carnivorous iguana the size of a bus.

:violent:

Hi

In New Zealand we have 4 million people and 66 million sheep. Axolotls make for a very interesting variant though its very hard to shear an axolotl and even harder to weave their wool.

Also very hard to do what you NZ'ers do to the sheep, to axies...

(NZ joke) :p
(sorry someone had to)

Also very hard to do what you NZ'ers do to the sheep, to axies...

(NZ joke) :p
(sorry someone had to)

Its all a malicious rumour, I don't even own a pair of gumboots

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back