New hongkongensis

David Tobler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, if it wasn't for this forum and the various members that frequent it... I probably would of went home without buying a small group of P. hongkongensis today! I went over to the local pet shop to pick up a few things after work. To my surprize, they had a large number of warty newts (which is very uncommon to see 'round these parts) in a small tank. I couldn't say no...

After sorting through every single one, I ended up with 5 that had the most color and seemd to be in good health. One of the females I picked out is extremely fat, and I'm assuming she's full of eggs.

I snapped a picture of my favorite one as soon as I got home.

honkongensis.jpg

A quick belly snapshot...

hongkongbelly.jpg

I'll be sure to take more (better) pictures soon...

You'll have to forgive my ignorance if I've misidentified these guys. The tank at the store was labeled Hong Kong Warty Newt, and I didn't even bother to double check with the Caudata Culture page before making my first post. It seems to me that these should be P. chinensis and not P. hongkongensis.

Nice newts, and great photos - more calendar entries perhaps? They look like chinensis to me but I'm not a Paramesotriton person. Be aware that there could be fighting if they don't have a large enough aquarium with plenty of territories.

Well, if it wasn't for this forum and the various members that frequent it... I probably would of went home without buying a small group of P. hongkongensis today! I went over to the local pet shop to pick up a few things after work. To my surprize, they had a large number of warty newts (which is very uncommon to see 'round these parts) in a small tank. I couldn't say no...
I find this comment a bit depressing. While I think our site has improved the care for countless amphibians, I also think we unwittingly increase the sales demand, including demand for WC animals in the pet trade.

Ah well, lovely animals. I agree that they look more like chinensis and are surely not hongkongensis. But I'm not a Paramesotriton person either.

My thoughts exactly when i read this post, Jen.
Although they are probably going to receive very good care...the fact remains those poor animals were taken from their homes, and what´s worse, the shop will replace them with new ones...
I really hope they do well, and eventually breed for you, that way they will at least contribute to the captive breeding os the species.
I too think they are chinensis, because of the dorsal stripe. A couple more pics from different angles couldn´t hurt.

By the way, I didn't intend to condemn David in any way for buying these. They will have much better care than if they had stayed there. I was just struck by his words... he stated so clearly something that has concerned me for a long time. My post was only intended as 'food for thought' about this website.

I completely understand where you are coming from Jen. Even though the benefits most likely greatly outweigh the harm this site does inspire one to want more animals. I originally joined to learn more about T. shanjing and now I have a whole room full of mostly Asian species. Some are CB but most are WC.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back