Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi

planetjanet

Reaction score
My name is Janet and I've just bought my first axolotl. He is white, a bit transparent and his name is Xipe Totec - Zippy to friends and family. (I use the word 'his' advisedly as I'm not really sure). He lives in a 24" tank at a temperature which varies slightly between 16 and 18c. He seems to have taken a few days to settle into his new home and I've yet to see him eat anything but since he doesn't look too thin and isn't dead yet I assume he's ok. Today is the first day he hasn't scuttled off to one of his hiding places as soon as I approach the tank. Having kept fish for may years it rather goes against the grain not to have filtration so I have put a very gentle filter into the tank which he seems to like to rest against - explain that one! Because it's a new tank I've been testing for amonia and nitrates fairly regularly, the amonia level has gone up today but not alarmingly, nitrates are fine, I will continue to monitor it but I think this is probably normal for a new tank. I clear out any uneaten food every couple of days and top up with rainwater of which there is a plentiful supply at the moment. I hope I'm doing everything ok and that my next posting won't be to tell you that he has floated to the surface.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Janet. It sounds like you're doing a good job. I would be a bit wary of using rain water because it will be lacking in dissolved mineral salts and since axolotls like hard water this is not a good thing. You'd be better off using tap water treated with water conditioner/dechlorinator.

Best wishes,

-John

melfly

Reaction score
Hi janet
Welcome!
Congrats on your axie!!

Hope to see some pics on here soon! :happy:

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1