Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudoeurycea galeanae breeding

SalSA

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in breeding, hatching and raising the young of Pseudoeurycea. There really isn't much out there. I got one to lay eggs and I'm at the "now what" point.

SalSA

Reaction score
Re: Pseudoeurycea breeding

The first clutch of eggs are developing nicely. And quite the surprise...a second salamander laid a clutch of eggs too!

Everyone loves pictures so here they are.

pgaleanae2witheggs.jpg

This is the one that just laid the eggs. The eggs are probably a day old.

pgaleanaewitheggs.jpg

This is the first clutch of eggs. If you look closely you can some development. I think the eggs are about a month along.

SalSA

Reaction score

Just another little update. The little salamanders have started to hatch!! I've seen 4 so far from the first clutch (April 14). I'll get some pictures in the next couple of days and post them soon.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Congratulations mate. Lovely to see your success. Thanks for posting :)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the photos!

KennyDB

Reaction score

Wow that's great, what P. is it? cephalica?
For how long do you have these animals? To bad there is nothing much about them on the internet, the only thing I keep hearing is that they're hard to maintain just like the Bolitoglossa's...

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Congratulations Sal, you should be very proud!

jelkins

Reaction score

Way cool. Nice to hear these guys are going about their business in captivity.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Can you elaborate on the housing, diet, and the over-all conditions you put the animals through to get them breeding?
As you said, information is VERY scarce, your experience will help others.

SalSA

Reaction score

here are the updated pictures.

First off, here is an egg from the second clutch. As you can see, the larvae is developing nicely inside the egg.

pseudoeuryceadeveloping.jpg

This next one is one of the babies (Counted 12 so far from the first clutch) on the mother. The adult is maybe 4 inches long, so these babies are TINY!

pseudoeuryceahatch1.jpg

Here is another hatchling next to a group of eggs.

pseudoeuryceahatchling2.jpg

And just for a size comparison, this is one of them on my pinkie nail! Like I said TINY!

pseudoeuryceahatchlingonpinkie.jpg

As for husbandry...these guys are kept cool. Temps never go above 75F. The enclosure is a 10g aquarium. There is an undergravel filter (from a fish tank) with the air towers. On top of that is 3 inches of aquarium gravel, then about 4 inches of cypress mulch mixed with coconut husk mulch. That is topped off with a layer of cork bark covered in live Sphagnum moss. The salamander usually hang out under the cork bark, but occasionally will be between the moss and the bark. All of this is misted daily with Reverse Osmosis water, usually in the morning. The bottom of the tank has a drain so any excess water just fall out of the tank. The adults are fed pinhead or 1/4 inch crickets weekly. The babies are being offered springtails and fruitflies.

SalSA

Reaction score

Oh, sorry for not posting the species...its Pseudoeurycea galeanae

KennyDB

Reaction score

Lovely, can you post some pictures of their set-up?

rust

Reaction score

Very very cool. Don't hesitate to post more pics! Your set-up makes me question just what the heck I was trying with some Bogies I had. Hopefully I'll get another shot at it some day.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Sal was generous enough to let me see these beauties last weekend. Here are some photos:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Fantastic news - well done. Good luck raising the offspring. Set-up pics please!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1