Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Poor care of animals in stores

axiewhisperer

Reaction score
I have become very concerned with the lack of information, or wrong information, provided at pet stores or aquarium stores. Particularly relevant in the case of axolotls, who obviously have special needs and can really suffer if they are not looked after just so.

When I got my first axolotl about eight months ago, I was sold a smallish tank, told to test the ph (that is all I was told to test), to feed a diet comprising beef heart, beef heart and beef heart, and that, if I could prevent it, to keep the water below 25 degrees celcius! Luckily Kasper proved to be a tough little axie and has managed to thrive even though the water/diet must have been just awful while I was doing my own research and figuring it all out.

I just hate going into pet stores and seeing these poor neglected little animals. Not just axolotls of course. I am going to start speaking up about it now that I have knowledge enough to make an argument. There must be so many animals suffering because their carers are concerned only about the bottom line and not about the welfare of the animals.

I've read a few horror stories on this forum. Have you had similar experiences?

gary1621

Reaction score
I'm sad to say I have to agree with you. The pet shops are not the best at informing buyers with the specific needs of their animals. Its not just limited to Axies but all animals.

I can only hope people do their research before purchasing an animal or directly soon after!

:D

Mitzee

Reaction score
I agree, I've been in a few of the mainstream stores and actually had a word with the managers, about gravel and axolotls, though only one actually took note.

I also hate the way that many of the shops that have Axolotls do not sell the pellets.

When I worked at a big chain pet store we were always scooping out the dead fish and never testing the water or seeing what had caused it, and hardly trained.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Elle,

Unfortunately it is all to common, but there have been several people on this site that have taken a proactive stance and instigated some change within pet stores in their locale. You can always direct them to this site.

Please keep on fighting the good fight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1